Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Raised designs on walls: How to refinish

Visiting Guest

11-13-04, 06:33 PM   #1  
rtbrick
Raised designs on walls: How to refinish

The 31X12 gameroom in the house I recently purchased has raised, fingerpainted designs all over the walls. The painted designs are sufficiently thick enough that a prime and paint will not cover. The design would show up in the new paint. I tried to sand the designs, both with a palm sander and with a drywall screen by hand, but the paint is difficult. I thought it was just latex, but it is very tough and resilient. It will initially de-gloss a little and then not sand much at all. I actually damaged an aread trying to sand with the palm sander. And to compound the mess, the end walls have been sponged all over (completely covered). I think I can use a skim coat or two of joint compound on these walls. In the end, I will use a textured paint (like it has sand in it) to finish the walls. So my questions to the forum are:

1. What kind of paint do you think was used for the fingerpainted designs?
2. How do you think I can easily sand or otherwise remove the designs? It takes about 15 minutes of sanding one spot to get it low enough to smooth with joint compound. Very time consuming and laborious.
3. If I use joint compound on the end walls, do I have to de-gloss the paint?4. How much surface imperfection will the textured paint actually cover?

All tips and advice are very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

MO

11-14-04, 06:17 PM   #2  
Paint might be acryllic, really hard to say, but that's supposed to be the toughest paint on the market these days. As far sanding the designs down, what grit of pad are you using, try using a rougher guage of screen or paper as the case may be. There's some pretty good covering paints on the market, however another thought would be to sand down the designs down as much as possible and skim over and feather them out, then apply a coat of good primer followed by a knockdown texture, this will hide alot of imperfections in the walls. Good luck.

Search this Thread