Panda Paw ceiling texture?

Old 11-16-04, 04:27 PM
feathhd
Visiting Guest
Panda Paw ceiling texture?

I would like to know how this is done with the Panda Paw brush?
What do I have to do to get that texture look of the Panada paw style?

Help please anyone who has done it.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.
You can also e mail me at xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com with the how to information thanks.

Bill

>>>Forum Monitors Note:
This post has been edited.
E-mail address only removed.
Kindly use the forum topics only, to exchange information.
Email contact addresses are not allowed in the forum topics.
All information exchanged must be done in the topics.
Including an email address also invites unwanted spam emails....
Removing email addresses spares everyone of that problem....

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 12-24-04 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 05:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forums.

I'm not familiar with the "Panada paw" texture look you're referring to, but I would assume it's done by pressing the brush into the mud and then pressing it to the surface you are texturing. I guess you've seen this texture style done somewhere, if you could provide a picture, we might be better able to help you figure out how to apply it to achieve the desired results.

Old 11-17-04, 08:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In my local Menard's they call a stomp brush a panda paw. It's a long oval with all the bristles flattened pointing out from the center. Once it gets wet (soak it in hot water for a couple hours before using) the bristles have some spring to them.

Here's how you do it:

Prime the ceiling first with drywall primer.

Tape off walls with plastic drop cloth if you want.

Thin some mud (try to do enough for a whole room) to a heavy cake batter consitency (too thin may cause cracks later--too thick dries too fast and is hard to work with).

Roll on a section of ceiling (4x4 first to see how fast you can work) with a 3/4" nap roller, put it on heavy, don't try to empty the roller, keep getting it full.

Use a big brush to get in the corners and along the walls--you need complete mud coverage for consistent color.

Now take your softened (soaked) panda paw screw on a handle and dip it in mud. Now just flop it up there. You'll get a feel for how the bristles flop. Keep it full of mud so they'll continue to flop right. Now randomize or organize your pattern for the look you want.

If it's too heavy scrape with a wide taping knife and try again.
Move to the next section. Try to always work with a wet edge between what's done and what you're doing now. When that's impossible take great care because rolling more mud over what's already dry will leave a visible hump.

It's easier than it sounds!

Old 11-18-04, 09:14 AM
feathhd
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help and all the information guys.

Bill

Old 12-23-04, 08:23 PM
springer02
Visiting Guest
Thanks for info.

Thanks for the info.. I just needed the exact tips that you stated without buying a book that says the same thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: