Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster & Lathe removal

PA

11-17-04, 07:24 AM   #1  
Plaster & Lathe removal

Hi all I'm enlarging a door opening - I've already gotten expert instructions for the framing requirements, however I'd like to remove the plaster & lathe in the opening area without disturbing the surrounding area of plaster. (My "experts" are a 30 yr plus carpenter and the local bld inspector & they both think I should just remove the plaster/lathe in entirety - but I'm only removing 18" of a 10 foot wall).

I havent been successful in doing this in the past and usually end up replacing entire plaster w/ sheet rock. I'd like to know if there is a way to remove plaster & lathe w/o disturbing the rest. I'm opening to an existing stud so if I can remove the plaster - I'm confident I can get a straight cut through the lathe.

Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links

11-17-04, 07:50 AM   #2  
Since you've done this before, you KNOW what a tricky devil plaster can be. What you might try is a 4" angle grinder with a masonary carbide wheel on it. Draw the line you want to cut and SLOWLY cut along the line. Do a scoring cut first as vibration later might cause the plaster to crack and run on you. A few passes on this line and you should be through the plaster and the wire mesh. Remove the plaster and mesh and then attack the lathe. Just a thought. Good luck.

PA

11-17-04, 07:53 AM   #3  
Plaster & Lathe removal

I haven't come across any wire mesh in this house (and hopefully won't!) - does the method you described still apply?

CAL

11-17-04, 07:59 AM   #4  
There may or may not be wire mesh or metal lath in the wall, depending on the age of the house. Dragon's advice is good. We both assume you have wood lath. What you should try to avoid is snagging the lath and vibrating it to loosen adjacent plaster. That is why the circular grinder or saw. BUT WEAR A GOOD RESPIRATOR AND SEAL OFF THE REST OF THE HOUSE. THIS IS A DUSTY OPERATION.
If more plaster breaks off than you wish, it isn't that hard to repair that. Ask us here first before you decide to tear off a whole wall.
When I remove plaster from wood lath I mentally decide I want the patch no larger than such and such an area then try to keep it to about that size. I also never wory about the shape of the patch it is as easy to patch an irregular hole as a nice, neat square.

PA

11-17-04, 08:27 AM   #5  
Plater/lathe/precautions

"BUT WEAR A GOOD RESPIRATOR AND SEAL OFF THE REST OF THE HOUSE. THIS IS A DUSTY OPERATION."

Thanks for reminder - I have an asbestose rated respirator - I'll grab it on the way to the job.

AND......
If more plaster breaks off than you wish, it isn't that hard to repair that. Ask us here first before you decide to tear off a whole wall.

You'll probably be hearing from me for plaster repair....thanks

PA

11-18-04, 07:46 AM   #6  
plaster is off - now for lathe!

I'm very happy with results - no plaster disturbed in other areas!

Now for lathe - I assume I can use a fine blade w/ circular saw..

Is that correct?

11-18-04, 07:49 AM   #7  
That should work. Vibation is your only enemy so the fine blade should work nicely.

CAL

11-18-04, 10:25 AM   #8  
For the sake of your blade clean out the keys (the spaces between the lath) in the track of your cut. The sand in plaster is death on blades and as the blade dulls it will be harder to make the cut so be very carefull.

Let us know the progress.

Often we give advice and don't know if it was good advice or if people used it or not.

What you learn here is worth what you pay for it.

Search this Thread