Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

The why of ceiling strapping?

Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 09:21 AM   #1  
Chris MH
The why of ceiling strapping?

I'm in the process of insulating and drywalling a detached garage. I've been advised to install strapping before installing the drywall on the ceiling.

The garage joists are 16" on center so I'm not sure why strapping makes sense - I'm under the impression that strapping is only suggested when the joists are over 16" on center - is there some good reason that I'm overlooking?

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links

MO

11-17-04, 01:47 PM   #2  
Hi Chris and welcome aboard!

I would just hang the drywall, 1/2" is acceptable on 16" centers. It's done all the time without any adverse results.

Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 01:54 PM   #3  
Shadowman
And if you didn't know and it's not already too late, drywall the ceiling first.

11-22-04, 04:15 PM   #4  
i think strapping is just give you more screw/nailing surfaces - i did basement and garage w/o any strapping

Visiting Guest

11-25-04, 03:14 PM   #5  
Aarno
Don't know the "book" answer, but I use 1x3 strapping:

- to make sure I'm 16" oc,

- to help with the rolled insulation,

- and most importantly, to provide a flat surface for attaching the drywall. It's not uncommon for ceiling joists to 'not' be perfectly in line and level with each other. Strapping and shimming ensures that you'll have a flat surface to hang your (fire retardant) drywall, which of course will provide you with a flat even ceiling.

Aarno

Search this Thread