The why of ceiling strapping?

Old 11-17-04, 10:21 AM
Chris MH
Visiting Guest
Question The why of ceiling strapping?

I'm in the process of insulating and drywalling a detached garage. I've been advised to install strapping before installing the drywall on the ceiling.

The garage joists are 16" on center so I'm not sure why strapping makes sense - I'm under the impression that strapping is only suggested when the joists are over 16" on center - is there some good reason that I'm overlooking?

Many thanks,

Chris

Old 11-17-04, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome aboard!

I would just hang the drywall, 1/2" is acceptable on 16" centers. It's done all the time without any adverse results.

Old 11-17-04, 02:54 PM
Shadowman
Visiting Guest
And if you didn't know and it's not already too late, drywall the ceiling first.

Old 11-22-04, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i think strapping is just give you more screw/nailing surfaces - i did basement and garage w/o any strapping

Old 11-25-04, 04:14 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Don't know the "book" answer, but I use 1x3 strapping:

- to make sure I'm 16" oc,

- to help with the rolled insulation,

- and most importantly, to provide a flat surface for attaching the drywall. It's not uncommon for ceiling joists to 'not' be perfectly in line and level with each other. Strapping and shimming ensures that you'll have a flat surface to hang your (fire retardant) drywall, which of course will provide you with a flat even ceiling.

Aarno

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: