Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting Textured Ceiling with Cracks

Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 03:13 PM   #1  
rolf
Painting Textured Ceiling with Cracks

Hi,

I have an old house, about 1920's American and I want to paint the ceiling, which has texture that doesn't stand out as much as popcorn. There are several long but narrow cracks running throughout it, and that presents a problem to me - I can't repair the cracks without the repairs sticking out. I don't think the texture can be renewed easily without redoing the whole thing.

I want to make this DIY job as painless as possible, but would like to make it look as good as it can be at the same time - any suggestions about the cracks or which paints to use to conceal them?

-Rolf

Last edited by rolf; 11-17-04 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsored Links

MO

11-18-04, 05:59 PM   #2  
Hi rolf and welcome aboard.

My first suggestion would be to cover the plaster up with sheetrock, this would give you a great looking ceiling, but possibly more work & expense than you're wanting to do.

Next best would be to sand down the texture as much as possible, then tape the cracks, (I'd use paper tape if it was me) Let that dry and then put one more coat over the taped area. Then shoot a fresh coat of spray & knockdown texture over the whole thing.

I'd use a flat paint, satin & semigloss will highlight any flaws. Do a search in the Painting forum and You chould be able to come up with some brand names of good paints to help cover defects.

Good luck!

Visiting Guest

11-26-04, 02:13 PM   #3  
junk5681
asbestos

Since your house is old, have your ceiling texture tested for asbestos before you sand anything.

Search this Thread