Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Problem on popcorn ceiling texture removal

Old 12-02-04, 10:31 AM
Kray
Visiting Guest

I've started removing the popcorn ceiling in one room. First problem I ran into is that the popcorn seems to have been painted by a previous owner so water does not penetrate very well when sprayed on. This was solved, however, when I discovered that the popcorn texture still came off easily once I was able to get the drywall knife under an edge and slide it along the drywall surface - the popcorn texture fell off easily in large chunks. But there are small areas where it won't come off - namely, a 2-3 inch wide strip around the outer edge of the ceiling where it meets the wall. Also, several 8-10 inch wide strips extending across the ceiling perpendicular to the walls. My best guess is that these areas are the drywall joints where joint compound was applied before the popcorn texture was applied, then the popcorn texture must have "bonded" to the joint compound. Does that seem like the cause of my problem, and does anyone have a solution for how to remove the popcorn texture in these areas? The combination of the popcorn texture having bonded to the joint compound (my theory) plus having been painted over by the previous owner is making this really hard for me to address. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 07:59 AM
I don't know if it will work but try puttong some joint compound on the stiff and cover it with plastic wrap[not saran wrap too expensive]. put on plenty and see what happen. Do a small spot first.

Old 12-03-04, 10:45 PM
I would say that the drywall wasn't primered prior to having the texture applied and you're right it's bonded very well to the butt joints and the corners. Joneq's suggestion would be worth a try, the texture may absorb enough moisture from the mud to soften it up, never tried it, but if it works it'll save you quite a bit of sanding. Do post back & let us know how it works. Sanding is how we have always dealt with the problem, use a sanding screen instead of sandpaper, they are graded like sandpaper, try a 100, & it should know down the old popcorn pretty well for you.

Old 06-19-05, 11:19 PM
bmandyo
Visiting Guest
similar problem

I am having a similar problem, but kind of the opposite, we just removed our old popcorn from our ceiling because it seemed to peel off when painted, it came off super easy with a scraper, we came to realize the ceilings were never primered prior to the application of the acoustics, so in my case I don't believe it created a bond, we had the ceiling perfect, tried painting it, and everywhere the joint compound was located, the paint just peels off, so if anyone has any idea what is happening with my situation, I would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you, and I hope that helps with your bonding issue.

Old 06-20-05, 09:27 AM
hi
get a spray bottle and wet the spots and scrap off

Old 06-22-05, 06:43 PM
Concerns about removing popcorn ceilings in older structures include the issue of asbestos. Many contained asbestos. The only way to know for sure is to have it tested.

Because popcorn is water soluble, if painted it was done with oil-based rather than water-based paint which tends to dissolve popcorn. To remove popcorn with oil-based paint, it will take penetrating the oil finish to get the water into the popcorn for removal. For areas that refuse to budge, it will require spraying along edge of area to soak with water, and nudging off little by little with putty knife or scraper. Once popcorn is removed, ceiling should be sanded, primed and sealed with a primer/sealer like Zinnser before painting.