Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Ceiling Drywalling with Fire Sprinklers

Old 12-05-04, 07:13 AM
timmyg123
Visiting Guest

I'm drywalling my basement and there are existing
fire sprinklers sticking down. I assume they are somewhat
fragile with the glass bulbs. What is the best way to go
about cutting out the drywall for these?

Old 12-05-04, 12:27 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hmmmm

I can't completely picture your situation, but, one thing you might try doing if possible is having the drywall joints meet at the sprinkler pipe. That way you will only have to cut a semicircle the diameter of the pipe in each piece of drywall rather than a full circle the diameter of the sprinkler head that is too big once you snug it to the ceiling. When you tape the joints, that tape will also help fill in the gap around the sprinkler pipe.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken

Old 12-05-04, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thinking about new construction, the sprinklers are there long before the drywaller shows up. They make escuchions (sp?) which will allow you to cut larger holes to go around the sprinkler head. Since this is a retrofit, you will have to get the ones that are two piece, with a hinge type swing joint that opens up and then sort of clamps around the pipe. Good luck.

Old 12-06-04, 06:51 AM
timmyg123
Visiting Guest
so these echelons are temporary, to protect it, until the hole is cut?
any idea where can i obtain one?

Old 12-06-04, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They are not temporary.(unless you want them to be) They cover the hole you had to cut to get the drywall over the sprinkler head. Find out the size of the pipe the sprinkler is connected to (1/2", 3/4" etc) and you can find the cover at building supply stores or almost anywhere that carries plumbing supplies. They are also used in houses where plumbing lines are exposed to view. The ones that are normally installed during new construction are solid circles (usually chrome) but the retrofit are split and hinged to be able to go over existing pipes. They have little friction clips around the hole in the center to grip the pipe for vertical installation such as yours. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: