Help!! Drywall Removal

Old 12-04-04, 11:16 PM
Sheryleen
Visiting Guest
Arrow Help!! Drywall Removal

Hi, there,
The Florida hurricane storms got us, and good.
Can anyone tell me the easiest and most productive way (without hiring anyone -haha) to tear out drywall (ceiling too) and what tools to use? I've started with a hammer (using both ends) a screwdriver and a razorknife.(which doesn't cut deep enough with my strength)
It's all working but slow -ly and piece by piece. Any suggestions???
I'm sure I will need more help along the way,,lots to do.
but I'll be learning..
thanks, S.

Last edited by Sheryleen; 12-04-04 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-05-04, 04:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sheryleen, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You can rent or buy a reciprocating saw (commonly called SawZall). Use a 2" or 4" Blade. It will start through the drywall by putting it on an angle and slowly raising the back end of the saw. Once you hit a joist or wall stud, light pressure will allow the saw to follow the stud. Then go back with a screwdriver and pry off the pieces between the screaws or nails, remove fasteners and your done. Good luck.

Old 12-05-04, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Must be in my neck of the woods, Sheryleen. Went using the sawzall, pay attention to where the outlets and lights fixtures are so you won't have any wiring to repair. Also a good idea to pull your main breaker just in case. Sawing through a live wire can ruin your whole day.

Old 12-05-04, 09:21 PM
Sheryleen
Visiting Guest
Sheryleen here.

Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Must be in my neck of the woods, Sheryleen. Went using the sawzall, pay attention to where the outlets and lights fixtures are so you won't have any wiring to repair. Also a good idea to pull your main breaker just in case. Sawing through a live wire can ruin your whole day.

Yep, I hear that. Had a lil spark while taking the fan hood over the stove.down,,Whoopie.......I got another saw that will help, not a sawzall. Thanks for the info,,all helps Sheryleen... yes, your neck of the woods

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: