Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

knotty pine wallcovering, not sheetrock?????

Visiting Guest

12-12-04, 07:17 PM   #1  
coyote556
knotty pine wallcovering, not sheetrock?????

we would like to use a wall covering to give a room in our home a rustic look. something like pine boards or rough sawn lumber. has anyone ever done this instead of putting up sheetrock. right now the room is stripped down to stud walls. what type of lumber or boards would you recomend? your help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

12-13-04, 08:04 AM   #2  
Code will probably require sheetrock with at least a taping coat of mud on the seams for fire resistance. Then you could put whatever you want on.

Go to your local home center and see what tongue and groove paneling they have. Probably they'll have a natural finished knotty pine. That's one look. You could also use salvaged barn lumber and just nail it up--that could be pricey unless you know someone who has a delapidated barn they want torn down. Or you could do a board and batten look with rough sawn cedar. Use 1 x 10s (or 1x8s) to cover the walls and then cover the seams with 1x2s nailed on top. You might be able to use panel style siding designed for use on the outside of a house.

Here is a picture of plywood siding: http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx...717&hierarchy=

Visiting Guest

12-13-04, 08:20 AM   #3  
coyote556
i guess if i was to use the old barn lumber, i would have to put it up horizontal, instead of vertical, due to the way the studs run?

Visiting Guest

12-13-04, 08:21 AM   #4  
coyote556
as far as the codes go, i live in a rural county were there are no codes as far as i know.

12-13-04, 09:10 AM   #5  
Or you could put up some 1x2 furring strips to nail to or glue to drywall.

MD

12-14-04, 01:54 AM   #6  
Whether or not you put up drywall, I would add some blocking between the stud in about 3 places to have something to nail the wood to. Determine where you want the blocking at and snap a chalk line. Cut some 2x4 to fit between the studs and alternate placing them along the line so that you can end nail them thru the suds. THen you would have a solid nalier when you put up the boards.

Visiting Guest

12-14-04, 07:45 AM   #7  
coyote556
gary, have you ever seen anyone do what I am talking about?

12-14-04, 08:17 AM   #8  
Knotty pine paneling (the real kind) was all the rage once upon a time. Virtually every basement rec room was done in it. You could also scout out the fake paneling sheets, some are pretty good fakes, and sheets would be much easier to do (including the plywood siding I mentioned above, because you wouldn't need blocking or furring strips. Or you could do an interior version of cedar lap siding (horizontal) or cedar shake Shingles (over plywood or OSB. Hey I've even seen people use OSB as an interior decor (It's that stuff that looks like giant flakes of wood all pressed together). I've seen Old barn lumber used to do a board and batten interior paneling (but only in restaraunts).

12-15-04, 07:51 AM   #9  
There are many different options, alot just depends on personal taste. We did this addition for a gal that wanted the rustic look and let her pick out the materail. I never went back for the finished, stained, decorated picture but it really turned out beautiful when she was done. Just used the cedar plywood siding inside and knotty pine T&G on the ceiling, No. 2 pine around the windows interior.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...eraddition.jpg

Visiting Guest

12-15-04, 01:22 PM   #10  
coyote556
that is really nice. is there sheetrock undernieth? or is it just studwalls undernieth? thanks

12-15-04, 03:58 PM   #11  
Just stud walls. Our local code department did'nt require it be sheetrocked prior installation so it saved alot of time for us and money for the homeowner. I really need to get back for the final after pictures since she painted it, gutters, etc...one of those gals with a knack for decorateing.

MO

12-17-04, 03:53 PM   #12  
Whether there is a code in force or not I would still put up sheetrock first for two reasons. The first is for fire safety, and the second is for the additional sound insulating value of the drywall. It's not really all that expensive, 1/2" board is running like $.26-$.27 s/f, mud is $12 a bucket, for an application like that, all you need is for it to be taped and the bumps knocked off prior to installing your barnwood or whatever you decide to go with. Just my $.02 worth there. Happy holidays everyone! :glocke:

Search this Thread