Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Hanging something heavy using a fishing line

Old 12-23-04, 08:22 AM
sumitk
Visiting Guest

Hi all. I need to hang something heavy from the ceiling. Assuming that I can find a stud in the ceiling, I was wondering if I could use clear fishing line for this project. The object is about 50lbs. The max. load fishing line I saw online is 100lbs. Since this thing is going to be hanging above a couch, is it advisable to use a fishing line.

If so, then the next question is how do I secure the fishing line to the ceiling and the object I am hanging. I am afraid a simple knot just wont do it.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Regards.

Old 12-23-04, 08:30 AM
aj3
Visiting Guest
hmmmm... nylon line, 50lbs, above couch... better update your liablility insurance

Seriously though, while fishing line MAY hold this object up for a short while, your problem is fatigue... it WILL eventually break.

Old 12-23-04, 08:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with aj3. Depending on how long the hanging medium needs to be, you may be able to use stainless steel "leader" wire ( that is also used for fishing). Still not sure I would hang anything heavy over an area where it could hurt someone if it fell. Good luck.

Old 12-23-04, 09:39 AM
sumitk
Visiting Guest
I agree. Thats why I figured I would ask the experts. The whole reason for me using the fishing line is since its clear and almost invisible thus giving it a suspended in the air effect.

FYI, the object will be about 2' from the ceiling. Its 5' wide so there will be a cable on each side. I guess I should try looking for one of those rusting looking chains.... any other ideas?

Thanks a ton for your input.

Regards.

Old 12-23-04, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would go with majakdragon's suggestion for using the braided steel leader, it will be visible on close inspection but shouldn't be that noticable at first glance. I would lean towards safety when thinking about hanging a 50lb object over a couch, it'll give your insurance agent indigestion for sure!

Merry Christmas! :glocke:

Old 12-27-04, 12:00 PM
sumitk
Visiting Guest
OK, so I did some research this past weekend, keeping in mind your suggestions, and I have decided to hang the beam on the wall, rather than it being suspended from the ceiling... I agree that was too risky.

Here is what I am now thinking of doing... I am going to drill hols through the I beam and secure it using 5/16 screws. Assuming that I can drill the holes through the metal, I think this should work. Also, assuming that I can locate the studs in the wall, here is my question...

I know that the studs are 16" apart. If I can locate one stud, is the next one simply 16" apart or do I have to leave margin for the width of the stud as well? Also, so that the holes in the beam are exactly the sameposition as the studs, how should I position the holes on the beam... i.e. how far from each other?

I know all my questions are probably very very basic, but I would really appreciate your help since I am a relatively new DIYer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Old 12-27-04, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The studs SHOULD be on 16" CENTERS. This means that from the right edge of a stud to the right edge of the next stud is 16' (thus 16" is the same from center of stud to center of next stud). Drill your holes 16" apart and you should be good to go. Measure the length of the beam you are hanging and mark the center of it. Get a measurement to the center of the wall you are hanging it on.(if it is to be centered on the wall). Measure from the wall centerline to the stud and transfer this measurement from the center of your beam center and that where you drill your hole. Then 16" to each additional hole in either direction. Good luck.
If you want to double check before you drill the beam or the wall, make marks on both the wall and the beam and hold it up to make sure you have the beam where you want it and all holes are aligned with the marks.

Old 12-31-04, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
as said before the fishing line will stretch with cool and heat on.they do make a fishing line called spider wire which is a brade that you cant brake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: