Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

aluminum vs fiberglass step ladders

NY

12-23-04, 07:59 AM   #1  
aluminum vs fiberglass step ladders

Which is more stable, aluminum or fiberglass step ladder? What are the pros and cons of both? Thanks

Sponsored Links

12-23-04, 08:15 AM   #2  
I like the fiberglas ladders. While they are heavier and more expensive I feel that they are more stable.
Aluminum (and others) come in different classes for weight allowable maximums. The better the class the more stable they are. The cheaper aluminum ladders seem to twist at the bottom of the legs if you lean a little.
Youalso have to look at what you will be doing with the ladder. I never noticed it before, until I bought one, but some step ladders do not have the tray for holding a paint roller pan. Seemed odd but I guess some people just use them for other projects and the top step has holes for holding tools within them. Good luck.

12-23-04, 08:36 AM   #3  
Look here. I have one of the 3 way flip up ladders and it is extremely handy. Fiberglass ladders are not so light and are mainly used be people working around electricity. No home owner needs one. Type 1 or 2 aluminum is a good choice imho. I love the flipup ladder but it lacks a tray to put anything on at least I don't know of any.

http://www.wernerladder.com/climpro1.pdf

Group Moderator

WI

12-28-04, 08:29 AM   #4  
I would add that in cold winter weather (I live in western Wisconsin), aluminum is not fun to touch.

Search this Thread