Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall as ceiling tiles?

Visiting Guest

12-29-04, 04:44 AM   #1  
swatts

has anyone heard of using drywall with a suspended ceiling?,,,,,meaning actually precutting the drywall into 2 X 2 panels and installing them in a grid in place of more commonly used ceiling tiles.....what issues/problems (i.e. weight restrictions of grid) could this create?.....what potential benefits (if any) are there? ............

Sponsored Links

KS

12-29-04, 08:45 AM   #2  
Yes. actually there are 2x4 vinyl faced drywall tiles used for fire code and moisture issues. You can use drywall or plywood. As long as your grid is suspended correctly.

Visiting Guest

12-31-04, 06:03 AM   #3  
swatts

can I use just regular gyproc.....I'm assuming it must meet at least the basic fire code regulations since it is used on the walls......they would be installed in a family room and moisture is not a problem........I was actually more concerned about the weight...it is 1/2 inch and I was wondering what if anything needs to be done to reinforce the grid such as double up or reconfigure the wiring hangers?.....items such as plants and projection screens etc seem to be able to mount ok....

01-01-05, 03:13 PM   #4  
drywall as ceiling tiles

What gauge of wire and how frequently is the grid supported?

Keep in mind that unfinished drywall is an absorbant surface and will discolor with age.

KS

01-02-05, 06:19 AM   #5  
Great point! if you do use non faced drywall, you will have to prime it first. I would look into the vinyl faced tiles. They are all pre cut and finished. They sell them at the home depot as well.

Visiting Guest

01-02-05, 08:13 PM   #6  
swatts
drywall as ceiling tiles

Thanks for the info...........haven't worked out the wire guage and support issue yet but now that I know it is possible I intend to explore further......each full sheet of drywall will be sectioned and primed and a custom sculpture design added then cut into 2X2 panels

Search this Thread