Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to Repair Crumbling Plaster Ceiling?

Visiting Guest

01-05-05, 02:01 PM   #1  
ToolBeltDiva
How to Repair Crumbling Plaster Ceiling?

I've got this bedroom that's giving me so much trouble. The ceiling appeared to have peeling paint in some areas, but it turned out to be plaster crumbling and falling down. I very ambitiously decided I wanted to tear down the whole ceiling and replace it with drywall, but, it's a pain in the you know what to destroy all this plaster. Now I've got about a 3 X 3 area of somewhat destroyed plaster that I want to "fix". Any suggestions?

This plaster is on top of drywall, and there is metal lathe in certain places. I'm thinking of getting plaster, mixing it up and putting it up there. But I know from experience that I have roughly 1 minute to get the plaster in the right place before it gets too hard in the bucket. So, I'm open to suggestions.

Myself and my DH just bought this house so you'll probably be seeing a lot of me around here! Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sponsored Links

CAL

01-05-05, 08:23 PM   #2  
You are using the wrong stuff. Use gypsum plaster. Best is to buy a bag of plaster and some sand and mix it by volume 1 part plaster:2 1/2 parts of sand. Dry mix it thouroughly then add the water and mix is to a stiff oatmeal consistency then plaster it in.
Easier is to use Structolite or Gypsolite. It already has a light weight aggregate in it an only needs water.

What ever you use do this: spread this on more than the thickness of the existing then using the original as a screed straighten it off with a 1X4 so it's flush all the way across then take off an additional 1/16" of material to leave room for the finish. When you get this done then post here and tell us how it went and we can tell you how to finish it.

Easiest of all: hire a plasterer.

Visiting Guest

01-06-05, 08:39 AM   #3  
ToolBeltDiva
Oh but what sort of fun is it to hire a plasterer?

We got this house as a fixer upper and it's been one life lesson after another. I know I can handle this one!

When you say mix the plaster with sand -- do you mean sand like playground sand? I don't get it. I'm more than a little confused. I've so far used plaster of paris which I liked, regular plaster which hardened really fast but really looks nice as a finished product, and also joint compound which really isn't what I need for this project. I've also used vinyl spackle, but that also isn't the right thing. But gypsum plaster? Never heard of it -- but I'll look for it.

Thanks for the help -- more suggestions anyone?

CAL

01-06-05, 08:55 AM   #4  
Plaster of Paris is gypsum plaster, moulding plaster is gypsum plaster, plaster is gypsum plaster, patching plaster might be gypsum plaster. What you want is RedTop gypsum plaster by USG or Two Purpose plaster by USG or Two Way Hardwall by Gold Bond or equivalents. If you opt for the stuff that doesn't need sand i.e. Structolite by USG or Gypsolite by Gold Bond they are handier because they don't need added sand. They aren't quite as hard or strong but certainly serve the purpose. The above are for your base coat called the brown coat other material workd for the finish If the stuff you are using looks fine for a finish you can use it if you can get it on and troweled and finished in the time it gives you.

You are probabaly trying to get material at a big box discount store. They don't have it any place I've ever been. Go to a masonry or, less likely to have it, a drywall suppier and tell them what you eant. After they tell you to hire a plasterer they will tell you what to use and how to do it and maybe even sell you part of a broken bag.
I really want to know how this goes for you. I don't do it for fun anymore.

Search this Thread