Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing old, extra-thick drywall

01-10-05, 12:38 PM   #1  
Replacing old, extra-thick drywall

I'm going to be replacing the drywall in my kitchen as part of a complete renovation of the room. The present drywall in the house, built in 1965, appears to consist of two layers of 3/8" (or they might be one 3/8" layer and one 1/2" layer...not sure of the precise measurement) sheetrock fused together. One of the kitchen walls continues into a hallway. Since I don't want to replace the kitchen wall AND the hallway wall, I need to install some new kitchen drywall flush with the old hallway wall.

Installing two layers of drywall seems like a completely silly idea. Is it okay to just secure some 3/8"-thick wood straps on top of my 2x4s and then install 3/8" drywall on the side that continues into the hallway? Since the other walls in the kitchen won't continue into older drywall, I think just putting up 3/8" on the other walls' 2x4s should be okay. Correct?

Sponsored Links

01-10-05, 12:48 PM   #2  
Posted By: Matty87 Installing two layers of drywall seems like a completely silly idea.
After doing a little investigating, it looks like installing two layers of drywall ISN'T a completely silly idea and is done often for sound-proofing and other purposes.

So maybe I should think about doing the double-layer thing as well?

MO

01-10-05, 07:51 PM   #3  
It really isn't all that silly of an idea at all, besides the soundproofing, two layers will allow you to flush up the new wall with the existing one. Two layers will generally give you a nice flat wall as well. For the very best possible results use plenty of glue between the two layers, as well as on the studs. Good luck, post back as needed.

01-12-05, 02:42 PM   #4  
Well, I've got a bunch of questions about doing two layers:

1. What sort of adhesive should be used?
2. You mentioned adhesive on the studs as well. This isn't something that's normally done with a single layer, so why is it done with a double layer?
3. How should I proceed?
a. Put the entire first layer up, then the entire second layer up. If this is the choice, should the seams between pieces on the top layer be offset from the seams between pieces on the bottom layer?
b. Hang one piece of drywall, then hang corresponding piece for second layer. Proceed across the room this way.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread