Painting over wallpaper?

Old 01-17-05, 04:49 PM
cfair
Visiting Guest
Painting over wallpaper?

Is this ever a good idea? I am going to sell my house starting in March because my husband has a new job in another state. My wallpaper in the foyer and in my bathroom is around 15 years but it is in excellent shape. It was put on dry wall so it would be difficult if not impossible to take it off. The colors are the mauves and blues that were in back then so it does date the house. Here is the question. My realtor has suggested that I paint a neutral color over all the wallpaper. I have never heard of this. Has anyone else done this? And is there any problem? I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
cfair

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 05:56 AM
It depends

If it is cheap contact paper it won't work out for you. Paper has to be removed and wall repairs made. It can be done if it is quality paper and the edges are not curling out at all. What you do is skim coat the wall with drywall mud and sand smooth and then coat with drywall primer and then paint. Me personally unless it is really aweful looking I wouldn't bother. If your not experienced with drywall mud it will be a pain in the butt for you plus who wants to breath in drywall dust. If I was looking to purchase the house I wouldn't care about the wall paper it is a minor issue and I would most likely expect to make changes to stuff like that to fit my own taste after I bought home. Some people can't see past minor stuff but alot of people will plan to make changes in the near future and won't hold it against you. They want to personalize it to their own taste and make it their own creation. I get this even in rental units and I don't mind after they have been there 2 years cause nobody wants to give up their personalize home which creates long term tenants for me. In short I wouldn't change paper.