Tape Drywall joints before Paneling?

Old 01-18-05, 10:21 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tape Drywall joints before Paneling?

I am finishing my basement. I have hung drywall vertically and planning to install some type of paneling over top..
Some general questions before I get started.:
1. Is it necessary to tape and apply 1 coat of compound on all joints? Is this needed to properly seal the drywall and/or to bring the tapered joints flush. Or can I just put up paneling without taping?

2. Can my paneling joints fall on the same stud as my drywall joints or should I stagger them?

3. Will the thickness of the paneling I select influence either of these first two decisions.
Obviously I would prefer not to tape - but also don't want a wavy wall after its all done..Any suggestions appreciated - thanks.

Old 01-18-05, 11:10 AM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess my biggest question is if you've already installed the drywall why do you now want to install paneling, you could've saved alot of time and money just installing the paneling and calling it a day.

BUT since you've already installed the drywall, you dont have to, but would'nt hurt to throw on at least one coat of tape/mud to fill in the depressions of the tapered joints. When you go to install your paneling, stagger the joints of the paneling so they fall on a flat part of the drywall, otherwise you'll notice the dip/depression since you'll have "stacked" joints. But if you go ahead and tape/mud the drywall and get it to a ready to texture state, you could install the paneling however you want. Just dont install adhesive on the panel back. They will hold up just fine to nailing and then in the future if you or whomever rips off the paneling they'll just have some holes to skim coat and have nice sheetrock walls with which to work with.

Old 01-21-05, 09:55 AM
E
I believe I need to hang drywall first then panel - so that my paneling has a solid backer + also for fire protection. - No?

I will tape, 1 coat & stagger joints as you suggested. Not glueing the paneling is a good idea also in case I get tired of it & want to remove it down the road. - thanks!

Old 01-22-05, 05:30 AM
I believe I need to hang drywall first then panel - so that my paneling has a solid backer + also for fire protection. - No?
You done right hanging the drywall first for both of the stated reasons. Personally I'd forego the paneling completely and just finish the new drywall, it will really lighten up the place and require less lighting, but to each his own. Good luck & let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: