Load capacity for 8' wall stud?

Old 01-21-05, 07:21 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
Load capacity for 8' wall stud?

Hello all,

I would like to hang a television on one of my bedroom walls. I am leaning toward a wall hanging bracket as opposed to building a shelf but would like to know how much weight a normal wall stud (2x4x8) can hold.

The bracket I am looking at will hold a television 19" to 27" up to 80lbs and only states that it has to be secured to a "structural member". My television is 27" and weighs 76lbs.

Does anyone have any ideas about this on whether it will work or not? I plan on putting the TV in a corner so if necessary I can build a corner shelf using support from 2 or more studs but I prefer the versatility and aesthetic nature of the bracket. Of course the bracket only attaches to one stud though.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-21-05, 07:44 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The stud will hold it fine, it's the fastner you really need to consider. I'm sure the destructions for the bracket will make suggestions on size of lags to use to bolt it to the wall, or heck, they may even come included. Hopefully it'll have provisions for a minimum of 2- 5/16" lag bolts, 3/8" lags would be more than sufficent. Make sure you get at least an inch of penetration into the stud after taking into account the thickness of the drywall/plaster and bracket thickness.

Old 01-21-05, 08:24 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
Hey IHI,

Thanks for the quick response. I also found a ceiling mount bracket that may work even better. I am assuming the same advice would go for that also? I will probably go with the 3/8" lags just to keep the Mrs. happy.

Using the 3/8" lags will I risk splitting the stud or joist (whichever I decide to go with) or should I pre-drill? Thanks again.

MC

Old 01-22-05, 04:36 AM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3/8" lags sounds like the better choice, and yes definately pre-drill. Will make screwing the lag in easier as well as prevent stud blow out. If you hang from the ceiling I think personally I'd opt for a lag that went into the stud about 2" after the bracket/plaster-drywall thickness are accounted for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: