Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

drywall tape pulling away from ceiling....help!!

Old 01-22-05, 08:18 AM
abcd1234
Visiting Guest

Hi - I noticed a few areas in my hallway where the drywall tape is pulling away from the ceiling. The length is about 2 inches. Can I just glue it back in place and cover it with some spackling? Or is that destined to make my problem even worse??

Thanks for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-05, 03:40 PM
Hi there, welcome aboard!

You can try glueing it back up, but doubtful it will hold for long. What you actually need to do is go ahead and peel that loose piece of tape down. Then you'll have to retape the seam and mud it again. With this being on a ceiling, there's a chance that you have a loose board up there as well. After removing the loose tape, press on the sheets on either side of the seem and see if there is any give. If there is you need to fasten the sheet back tightly to the joist with drywall screws before proceeding any further.

Is the ceiling textured or smooth finished? If it's textured, a picture would help us tell you how to match the repair in with the existing texture. post back & let us know.

Old 01-22-05, 06:08 PM
abcd1234
Visiting Guest
Thank you!!!! It isn't textured, just flat....and to be honest, I am selling the house, so I was inclined to try a quick fix, but as I just moved into a house and am discovering a few "quick fixes" here, which aren't too fun to deal with, I guess I should do the right thing and do it right.

I'll follow your advice (or at least tell my dad to!) and let you know how it goes!!

Thanks again!

Old 01-23-05, 07:21 AM
Well if your Dad needs any further assistance, feel free to post back & we'll be glad to lean a hand.

Old 01-31-05, 12:24 PM
If your selling the house

I would use super glue get it at dollar store. I usually try to do quality work but when it comes to selling a house being cheap is all I know then. I have found many first time home buyers aren't too darn picky on their first home you can get away with alot of crap second time home buyers would never go for they are very picky and have already been broken in and screwed once. My first home I sold was a budget house my first home when I sold I installed glue down commercial carpet ,walmart $9 a gallon paint, installed brand new ducane heat pump it works great but it is very cheap unit and loud,sounds like a helicopter ha ha. Many first time home buyers may have come from apartments they aren't used to quality products give em new products and they will be happy. This only works on lower price homes when they pay $300,000 then you have to compete with all the perks that are expected in that price of home. Let me give a lil advice on a home do yourself a big favor when the grass has been cut and the day is beautiful maybe you just painted the outside of house take pictures of the house while you own it as if it were going into homes and gardens magazine when it is at it's very best those are the pictures you use to sell your home. Too many times I see home pictures that look like crap that won't help sell it.