Removing texture

Old 01-25-05, 12:40 PM
Exclamation Removing texture

First post so bear with me!
After water leak,had to remove lath and plaster,blown in insulation, 4' or so wide and about 17' high and redo with drywall. This is going up a stairway and hallway to the second floor.Drywall is close to thickness of lath and plaster. Want to remove the old texture,so I can paint the walls. What is the best way to remove the texture. Do I sand, scrape with putty knife or use wet rag? I need to get the walls and ceiling ready for paint!
Thanks in advance!!
T.J. terry

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 10:19 PM
Probably but not necessarily the texture is in the plaster so is hard and while you might be able to scrape it off you would have a rather crooked, gouged surface that would need a lot of filling and smoothing. Better just try scraping and if it's hard forego that and smooth over it with a setting type joint compound. It might take multiple coats but as soon as one coat sets you can give it another coat

In the unlikely case that the texture was added later with joint compound you might be able to wet it and scrape it off easily. Try a small area with a spray bottle and if it softens and comes off easily then use a garden sprayer and have at it.
You could have asbestos.
You still might have to do some smoothing. Use the material and proceedure above.

Please tell us what you do and how it works.

Old 01-26-05, 08:30 AM
removing texture

Thanks for the reply, will see what is the easiest way to git it ready for paint
Thnaks again!!!
T.J. terry