Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Drywall spacing for carpet/tile installation

Old 01-31-05, 04:29 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest

I am finishing my 4 year old basement. The poured cement floor is bare and has not been treated with anything (ex. paint). I am going to hang drywall in the near future but can't remember what sort of gap I need to leave where the drywall meets the floor for carpet. Does one have to know what qaulity of carpet padding is going to be installed first to figure in thickness for the drywall spacing? Is there something easy I can use as a spacer when applying the drywall (something to set the bottom sheet on while screwing it on)? I thought maybe a few pieces of wood cut to width? Is this spacing supposed to be the same for areas that are going to be tiled on the floor? I am assuming this spacing doesn't have to real precise due to baseboard that will be installed after the drywall and carpet are in?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The board should have a min of 1/2" space from the slab. Just use a piece of scrap drywall for a spacer. When hanging drywall, you should always hang the ceiling first, then the top wall sheet, then the bottom wall sheet. You use a tool called a kicker to raise that bottom sheet so it sits up tight to the top sheet. If you're planning on putting in a suspended ceiling, you can start with the bottom wall sheet first, in that case use the drywall spacers as I described.