Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spackling plaster walls and a few problems...

Visiting Guest

02-01-05, 09:59 AM   #1  
Art Vandalay
Spackling plaster walls and a few problems...

I am a complete newb to fixing things so I only know what I read online..anyways on the with the problems:

Problem #1 - I recently started scraping and sanding my walls in preperation for painting next week. Well, just yesterday I came across an area where it looked like all of the paint coats were coming off so I ended up scraping the paint off all the way down to the plaster wall. The plaster is in decent shape but there is some staining on it. I spackled the area and smoothed it out flush with the rest of the wall. It looks okay, except for the fact that there are brown stains bleeding through the spackle. Should I be worrying about this or should I just continue on and prime over it?

I had a similar thing in the bathroom but the owners of the building came in and scaped it all down to the plaster and threw some "mud" on it. Then they primed and painted over it. I'm not sure exactly what they were using, it looked different than my spackle. ??

Problem # 2 - During the course of the above I ended up coming across an area where the plaster crumbled off down to the lathe. So I am now staring at an 8" x 3" - one inch deep area that I have no idea how to fill? I started to use my spackle and then realized that wasn't going to work so I stopped.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

CAL

02-01-05, 05:14 PM   #2  
About spackle, I know very little. For an amateur your pest bet to fix the 8" hole is probabaly to use a setting type joint compound like EasySand by USG. Get the 20 minute set material. Mix a little and press it into your hole. In 20 minutes it will be hard enough to give it another coat and so on until it is flush. Then give it one more and sand level. Prime, (texture if needed and prime again if you textured it) and paint.

Visiting Guest

02-09-05, 06:47 PM   #3  
lockpicker
well what you could do is Go to Home depot get you some Lathe "Screen"
cut the piece just a lil smaller then what you need for a backer..

then you can go get some 20 minute Bagged setting compound and fill the hole..

now as it dries and just starts getting good and hard it may want to bubble out "Hump-Out" on you so then just take a drywall knife and shave it flush with the existing wall...

then what I'd do is sand down and ruff up the Paint around the outside of the area say about 1' 1/2 around and then apply a Bonding agent to that area.

then apply a a coat of 20 minute over that area feather out the Edges NOW

and don't Leave it heavy on the wall. It's always easier to apply thinner coats than it is to sand that type of Mud.......

let dry

sand
Prime & Paint

Now don't Flame me Plasterers I'm a plasterer as-well** but this just a small homeowner patch :mask:

CAL

02-09-05, 08:02 PM   #4  
This is such a little spot that the purchase of a sheet of metal lath (not lathe screen) is unjustified. Just fill it with the EasySand or a competing brand. The set time in minutes is what the number on the label indicates. If one coat does it fine if it takes more then give it more.

Visiting Guest

02-09-05, 08:55 PM   #5  
lockpicker
Posted By: tightcoat .This is such a little spot that the purchase of a sheet of metal lath (not lathe screen) is unjustified. Just fill it with the EasySand or a

Please Pardon "the Lathe screen"

I wouldn't buy a whole sheet either for that small repair But being that the hole she has in the wall is rather Largely spaced and that the mud is

If you Will

Slipping between the Crack's..................

you can go down the Concrete isle at the home center and Buy a section of STUCCO MESH " if you will" for $2.00

and this will solve the problem or stuff a piece of cardboard in that area.....

My Apologies TightCoat..... after all this is an OPEN Forum Right??
"Chill"

Search this Thread