Cove ceiling design

Old 02-01-05, 12:19 PM
hgrays
Visiting Guest
Cove ceiling design

I'm toying with the idea of doing a cove ceiling in a bonus room in my home. The room is currently only framed and wired, no sheetrock or insulation yet, so I have some freedom in implementation. My question is, what's the most common method of installing a cove ceiling? The finished look I want is to have cove lighting in the room (dimmable) as this will likely be my media room with big screen, surround sound, etc. Do you just frame out an "L" shaped box at the desired height or can you do something with just crown moulding? Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 10:32 PM
kdomg
Visiting Guest
cove ceiling

As there are many ways to make a so called cove ceiling, it would depend on what you call a cove ceiling. An easy way to get a cove would be to buy very large crown moulding and install the track lighting (available at any home improvement store) on top of the crown moulding. Drop the crown down from the ceiling as much as you desire depending on the height of your ceiling. You will need to nail a board on the back of the crown moulding that will reach the wall you are mounting to. You will also need to mount another board on the wall to mount the board you added to the crown to. Try to hide the lighting where it won't be seen. Another cool idea is to build a fur down with 2x4s in the middle of the room and do the same thing with the crown on it. Build it like a square box and sheetrock it. Mount a bright light in the center or a ceiling fan if you prefer. Don't forget to add the track lighting also. It looks really nice, especially in a large room. The more time consuming way is to build a cove ceiling out of 2x4s which would require you to raise the ceiling joists or lower your wall corners depending on your ceiling height. The crown moulding idea is a very nice modern look.