Texture Wall Ceiling Repair

Old 02-01-05, 03:20 PM
Rocknroll
Visiting Guest
Texture Wall Ceiling Repair

I'm looking for advice on textured ceiling and wall repair.

Research:
The repair probably won't look like the original, unless the whole wall or room is re-textured. OK, I understand this.

Research:
I found on the USG website the exact pattern of texture that I need to duplicate: it's a knockdown texture called "spatter". After reading up, it seems that the only way to apply this kind of knockdown texture is by sprayer. I tried doing a little by hand on a scrap sheet of rock, but didn't get very good results (more research says you have to paint it to really see the results--I didn't).
Q1: is it possible, with some application technique or mix, to make a good-looking "spatter" knockdown texture by hand? If so, does anyone have the recipe?

Research: I investigated sprayers. After reading up, I've found that the rotary-disk probably won't work, and to spray texture, I need an airless sprayer. They're kind of expensive, but since I've needed one for years and made really terrible choices and did shoddy work without one, I could justify the purchase. But reading up, I found the Greyco 395 isn't considered powerful enough to spray elastomeric coatings. Just thinking that knockdown texture is probably heavier than the elastomerics,

Q2: How powerful a sprayer do I need to spray texture, and paints including Elastomerics? The Greyco 395 has a 15-amp motor, and I don't think you can get a more powerful 110V unit. Is a 220V unit required? Wow! $$$$$$

I hope Jamestheson reads this post.

Thanks!

Rocknroll

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 05:09 PM
Questions?
How large is the area needing repair?
For small jobs there is texture material in aerosol cans. I haven't used the knockdown material but I have used the spatter in fine through coarse and had good success. After painting the customer couldn't find the patch. It's costly but it beats dragging a sprayer into a house for a patch. There is one brand of spray that has an infinetly variable nozzel. It works the best but the nozzel is easliy broken. The other brand uses different size changable spouts. If you opt for the quick drying brand make sure you have plenty of ventilation.
Mud consistency, timing and drying conditions give you a lot of chance for variation in coarseness of the spots, the depth of relief and the size of the spots. Also pressure asyou knock it down and the direction of the strokes all go into making a match.

Old 02-05-05, 10:29 AM
Rocknroll
Visiting Guest
The area needing to be repaired is about 20 sq feet, more or less. If I want it to match perfectly, the room is about 200 sq feet, so about 700 sq feet of texture for all the walls and ceiling.

I found on another website to use a stiple brush to apply the wallboard goo, and then a light spatula or putty knife to do the knockdown. I bought the brush ($40 at Kelly Moore, wow they don't give that one away!) and am practicing on some scrap wallboard. It looks promising, but I haven't got the right technique or dilution yet. It takes a long time to dry for the knockdown, so testing goes slowly.

I checked out the aerosol sprays, but since I'm not doing the whole ceiling and walls, I'm concerned about overspray, masking, matching what's there, and the unknown things I don't know about. That's why I'm still considering the purchase of a sprayer. If I get the sprayer, I'll just do the whole room so matching is a non-problem.

Thanks for your response. If there's any input on the sprayer, I'l all ears. Or I guess eyes, since I read this.

Rock

Old 02-05-05, 11:38 AM
Have you checked with local tool rental yard? You can usually rent the whole set up, (hopper gun sprayer and compressor set up on a dolly) for about $40-$50 a day, even less for 1/2 day rentals. The stuff in cans could get pretty expensive to be practicing with, but if you know what you're doing it's the easiest way to go.

I've used a large damp sponge to dab the mud on the wall & knocked it down with a 12" or 14" knife for this type of repairs, but I've got quite a few yrs of practice.