Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help removing bad paint job

Visiting Guest

02-08-05, 11:07 AM   #1  
kb83hokie
Help removing bad paint job

My wife decided to paint the dining room, but applied latex paint WAY to thick with a roller. Several runs, dark patches, etc. 48 hours later the heaviest areas are still gooey. I would like to remove this paint and start again. The finish is course, almost like plaster, so sanding may be out of the question. I'm concerned about using solvents and having the new coats of paint adhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links

MO

02-09-05, 05:19 AM   #2  
Take a putty knife or scraper to the real heavy spots, then break out the sander, I'd use an electric orbital sander, but you're going to have a mess to deal with. Probably would have been cheaper to just hire a painter to start with.

CANADA

02-09-05, 07:17 AM   #3  
Hi
and other was it to scrap of the excess and used drywall compound to fill in the space then sand smooth

Visiting Guest

02-09-05, 07:20 PM   #4  
lockpicker
you can try this also...

Go get that hair dryer from under the sink and try heating up the spots that have the most excessive paint.
it should bubble or seperate from old layer then use a thin drywall knife and try and peel it off...

I have done this before and it worked after you peel an area of you may wanna try spraying a lil warm soapy water to that area heat it again and go from there........

Just another Thought

Search this Thread