Suspended Ceiling issues

Old 02-11-05, 08:33 AM
andyNH
Visiting Guest
Suspended Ceiling issues

Hi,

I've recently purchased a house that's in generally good shape (built in 1880), with the one glaring cosmetic issue of having suspended ceilings throughout.

The first floor we're most likely just going to drop in decorative tile for now, since there's all kinds of ductwork snaking around behind the suspension. However, the second floor mainly seems to have plaster ceilings in need of a lot of repair.

Now, the other catch is that the third floor of the house is an apartment we'll be renting, so I'm trying to figure out a way to get rid of the industrial-grade ceiling and put something nicer up, but also manage to squeeze in some extra insulation (say 6" or so) between our living area and the apartment.

The suspension currently has more than a foot of space above it, and is already at 7'3", and we'd love to recover that extra bit of vertical space. I know hanging drywall is one option, but I was also thinking of setting up a lightweight grid on which to hang a decorative ceiling, and still be able to lay out some insulation (acoustic or other) in the open space.

I've never mucked around with drywall, but I have done bit sand pieces of low-end carpentry in the past.

Suggestions and advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-05, 06:15 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
I am checking into the product called CeilingMax at Home Depot. With this product you do not lose all of the headroom that you do with normal hanging or suspended ceilings. The hangers are attached directly to the ceiling and/or joists. Check it out, kind of expensive but seems really easy to put up? :mask: