Level walls

Old 02-21-05, 08:31 AM
Level walls

I am in the process of finishing my attic. I am building my kneewalls and having a hard time getting some of them perfectly level. Should I tear out those that are not level or when I glue the drywall will this hide some of the unlevelness?

Thanks,
Mt

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 03:07 PM
Unlevel as in wall runs uphill or downhill? Unlevel as to all studs don't line up perfectly when looking down the wall?

Old 02-21-05, 04:58 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Following up on Awesomedell's question... do you mean the short vertical studding from the ceiling joists to the roof rafters aren't plumb - or aligned with each other from one end of the wall to the other? If that's the case, the typical solution is to run lines across the entire span at the outermost points and shim the low spots. Sometimes, it makes more sense to plane or trim a stud that extends out a bit further than the rest. Personally, I prefer shimming because it's usually faster. Using 12' panels (if possible) helps as well - since it tends to "flatten out" the walls. It's not unusual that the 'preparation' for hanging drywall against gutted rooms and open studding often takes more time than actually hanging the rock. That, of course, is if you want to do it right.

Aarno

Old 02-22-05, 04:30 AM
unlevel walls

Thanks for the information. I have two studs that are unlevel vertically. I was going to take the kneewall down but broke two screws in the process. I guess I could try and tear it out and rebuild it...

Old 02-24-05, 07:09 AM
By vertically you mean they aren't exactly up at a 90 degree to the floor, smack them with a hammer to true it up and then run some new screws to lock it in place.