Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Sagging ceiling in Hallway Under Duct Work

Sagging ceiling in Hallway Under Duct Work

Old 02-21-05, 08:57 PM
whosani
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Sagging ceiling in Hallway Under Duct Work

I just bought my first house (built in 1951) and among other fixes I decided to remove door jam in hallway flush to the wall (hallway had its own door). Now, above door jam there was a 4x4 in the ceiling attached to 2x4's that ran down the side of the walls and there are 2x4's in the ceiling perpindicular to the 4x4 and they too were attached.

Well, I had to remove 4x4 in the ceiling and the 2x4's on the sides so that the wall would be flush at the hallway entrance. The ceilings are lower in this area due to the duct work and NOW the ceiling (in area of perpindicular 2x4's) is slightly sagging in that area and I think it's the duct work.

The walls and the ceiling have been repaired and everything looks great aside from the slightly sagging ceiling. (say that five times fast)

What can I do to fix? Do I have to open walls/ceiling back up and reset that support, can I maybe support the duct work from the attic with nylon rope, or something else?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Amiri

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-05, 03:49 AM
I suppose it's possible that the ductwork is heavy enough to cause the sag in the ceiling, but more likely you removed an important support member during your remodeling. If you can access this from above in the attic, climb up there and take a look to see if the ductwork is indeed sitting on the ceiling rock causing it to sag, but I suspect it's not the problem. If I'm correct, the only option would be to open the walls back up and correct the framing problem.