drywall over plaster

Old 02-22-05, 05:12 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drywall over plaster

i want to install sheet rock over an existing plaster ceiling...the plaster is in pretty good shape no major cracks,no sags and very level ...would it be alright to just screw the drywall into the joist through the plaster....id hate to rip down the plaster cause of the mess and my attic is insulated and filled with about 5 generations of family stuff...

Old 02-22-05, 07:01 AM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Quote: "...would it be alright to just screw the drywall into the joist through the plaster"

Well, I've certainly done that on a number of my room remod's on properties I own. No problem at all. I first make sure that the plaster is tight to the lathing and the lathing is tight to the joists. If not, I secure them... then 'hang' the drywall.

In addition, when hanging drywall on a gutted ceiling - I always hang 5/8" thickness. However, when hanging drywall against a secure and flat existing ceiling such as yours, I use 1/4" thickness - only because I don't see a need to go thicker. Also, I often use construction adhesive along with screws. At your option.

Another method, of course, is to skim coat the existing ceiling. In fact, I recently did just that with a small 8x8 sun room. In fact, I usually opt in that direction whenever the ceilings are relatively small - such as bathrooms and small hallways, for example. Just a matter of personal choice.

I'm not a professional... rather remodel only my own properties. So the pro's and other remodelers might offer different opinions. The above, however, works for me.

Aarno

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: