Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Advice on material for boxing in ductwork...

Visiting Guest

02-24-05, 10:35 AM   #1  
Scottzee
Advice on material for boxing in ductwork...

Sorry this is so long...
First post...thanks in advance for anyone that can help me
I am finishing my basement by myself (and some friends). I'm learning a lot and it's going surprisingly smooth. I have one huge problem that I can not for the life of me figure out what to do with.
Joists are just over seven feet from the floor, so I'm using a product called CeilingMax to get ceiling tiles directly to joists to eliminate hanging them. Didn't want to do drywall because all the "guts" of the house (piping, wires, etc.) are up in the joists, and I wanted access relatively easy. I can go straight to the joists except for right down the middle of the basement, which is 50' x 25'. Right down the middle I have my a) main support beam (2' x 12' boards I think), b) box ductwork and c) my return air boxed ductwork. All three are butted against each other for a grand total of 4' 6" wide and the bottom of them are 12" below the joists. I want to cover them but don't know how. I don't want to lose any more headroom underneath them than I have to, so I'd rather not box them in or even run furring strips underneath if I had to. Don't want to lose access to the wires/pipes that are mixed in with them. The ductwork is boxed with the shiny metal looking surface.
Is there any material I could use underneath these that would be a) paintable and b) able to only be supported at the edges (54" wide) without sagging? Could I glue something to that shiny, metal-looking ductwork stuff?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

MO

02-25-05, 04:47 AM   #2  
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to burst your bubble early in the morning, but the short answer to your question is NO. You're going to have to either build a soffit (frame around them) or else leave them open.

Search this Thread