Removing ceiling?

Old 02-26-05, 09:28 PM
bumbaleena
Visiting Guest
Removing ceiling?

I have just bought a house (built in 1926). The house is a wood a-frame. I would like to remove the low,flat ceiling and just have an exposed beam ceiling to open up the space. Is this possible? How big of a job is this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 05:00 PM
resettee
Visiting Guest
Sorry I don't have any answers but I have a similar question. I have a 1950s house that has a pitched roof and the ceiling have been lowered to 8 feet. I'd like to know how extensive a job it is to raise the ceiling and to expose a few of the house's support beams. I also wonder if that will increase my heating costs if I do end up with a taller ceiling? Thanks

Old 03-10-05, 10:05 PM
Hello folks and welcome to the forums.

I imagine both of these situations could easily be handled by contractor, but would be a fairly hard job for the novice diyer. What are your respective diy skills like? There's alot of good how-to info located here on the site. Here's a link to the menu page for all of that. http://doityourself.com/sitemap.htm

Read up and post back with some more info on your projects. What kind of ceilings does your house presently have? drywall, suspended grid, or a ceiling tile w/o a track, (just stapled &or glued to a wood grid work). The more info you can post the better advice you'll receive.