Quick Drywall Patch Question

Old 03-01-05, 12:43 PM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
Quick Drywall Patch Question

I am getting ready to place a patch on a section of drywall on an inside corner (two edges in play, opposite wall and ceiling.)

The peice being patched is roughly 8" x 12". When I position the new peice of drywall into position, I have a gap of probally a quarter inch from the ceiling to the new wallboard (appears as though whoever originally installed the drywall hung the ceiling first.)

What would you suggest for filling this gap? Should I use a thinner peice of drywall behind the patch to bring the patched peice closer to the ceiling? Will mud and the corner tape be strong enough to bridge this gap?

The exisiting drywall is 1/2", I do have some 3/8" drywall floating around the garage I could use behind the 1/2" drywall? Would this work?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-05, 04:55 AM
Just put the patch in, then prefill that 1/4" gap with mud and allow that to dry thoroughally before proceeding with the tape. We fill gaps that size all the time, try not to work behind poor hanging crews, but sometimes you just get stuck. For best results use a setting compound for the prefill, it'll dry in a real short time and will be less likely to shrink up and crack on you. I'd suggest picking up a bag of Easy-Sand 90 min mud for this purpose.

Last edited by awesomedell; 03-03-05 at 04:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-05, 06:57 AM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice, I think I will get started on this tonight.