Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

creating an arched opening in a drywall wall

Old 03-02-05, 06:49 PM
tperk
Visiting Guest

I need to create an arched walk thru in a non weight bearing wall that has the aluminum studs. After I cut the arch in the wall and use my recip saw to cut the aluminum studs, what is the best way to attach new drywall in the form of a curved arch? Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-05, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Wow! Tough project! How wide is the opening? I'm just going to explain how I'd do it, assuming the opening is roughly 38" wide or so, and see if some others might have a different or easier way. There's always more than one way to tackle these sort of things.

First, you need some backing inside your arch. I'd start by drawing the bottom edge of the arch on a piece of 1/2" OSB or plywood. Then trace an arc 3 1/2" away from that line- this portion will be inserted up into the wall. (A Pencil and a string tied to a nail works great for drawing arcs.) Then, add 2 layers of 2x10 or 2x12 onto the plywood, perhaps gluing and screwing it between the 2 lines you've scribed on the plywood. (depending on the size and height of the arc, you may need to use several pieces of 2x10 or 2x12 to make it around the arc.) Once you've made this "header" the correct thickness, use a jigsaw with a long blade and cut out your arched "header". Insert it into the opening and screw the drywall to it.

To wrap the arch with drywall, you'll need to use 2 layers of 1/4" drywall. Hopefully your arch isn't too tight for the drywall to bend that much. If worse comes to worse, and the arch is too tight, you might need to score the paper on the back every 2" or so, so that the paper back of the 1/4" drywall will break while the paper in front stays crease-free. It doesn't have to be flawless- your corner bead is what has to be perfect. But since the corner bead follows the framing and drywall it's helpful if its as close to perfect as possible.

Old 03-03-05, 04:48 AM
You'll need to wet down the drywall in order to bend it into the arch w/o breaking it.

Old 03-03-05, 08:46 AM
markfh
Visiting Guest
Or...

This is what I'm using for my project. Works great...

http://www.easy-arch.com/

Old 03-03-05, 08:59 AM
I saw the product markfh is talking about used on a TV Home Improvement show. It was pretty slick.

Old 03-03-05, 05:24 PM
tperk
Visiting Guest
Thanks to each of you for your help. I do like the idea of the preformed archway. I'm going to look in to that if I don't feel comfortable with the other suggestions given. I did see the cornerbead for archways and curves in the home depot today. I was considering just attaching the 1/4" drywall to the existing drywall only using the cornerbead. If I space my screws correctly wouldn't that be enough to hold up the thin drywall that I need to make the arch?

Old 03-10-05, 06:17 AM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Hello tperk,
Hope you don't mind just providing some info. It sounds like you are about to do the same project that mine originally was intended to be, an arch. After much thought, I went with a framed look. Some pictures of progress here:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1167753

Also, if you click to page 2 (of this newsgroup) I have an entire string on how to remove the piece of wall, etc. It is listed something like "Removing part of an interior wall for a walk-thru" and listed under my name.

Not trying to change your mind but the framed thing might be easier than the arch - depends probably on your wife.

Eric

Originally Posted by tperk
I need to create an arched walk thru in a non weight bearing wall that has the aluminum studs. After I cut the arch in the wall and use my recip saw to cut the aluminum studs, what is the best way to attach new drywall in the form of a curved arch? Help.