ceiling cracked after re-skim

Old 03-05-05, 04:15 AM
-pete-
Visiting Guest
ceiling cracked after re-skim

hi i have a lath and plaster ceiling it had quite a few cracks in so i used joint tape over the cracks (scrim) and replastered it and a week later i have a couple of cracks showing, What would be the best thing to do to get rid of them

- I thought of flexible filler like decorators chalk but was not sure
- Cutting the crack out and re-taping

Is there any filler that is sutible for this job

I re-skimed the ceiling as i have fancy original coving that i did not want to ruin

any help would be appreciated

thanks pete

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-05, 05:20 AM
dmmahone
Visiting Guest
Hey Pete,

Is the ceiling in the downstair area (have living space above)? The cracks could be an indication of a slight continuous settlement of the home. Until the home's foundation is solid, the cracks will always be an issue. Another possiblity, the joist need extra lateral support. If you are lucky enough, you could go into the attic and add some solid cross bracing. Then, repair the plaster. The site www.plasterpatchkit.com has a "Interior conventional Plaster Wall and Ceiling Repair Kit." The bonding agent in the products for plaster repair may offer a better result.

Good luck!

Don Mahone
Lilburn, GA.

Originally Posted by -pete-
hi i have a lath and plaster ceiling it had quite a few cracks in so i used joint tape over the cracks (scrim) and replastered it and a week later i have a couple of cracks showing, What would be the best thing to do to get rid of them

- I thought of flexible filler like decorators chalk but was not sure
- Cutting the crack out and re-taping

Is there any filler that is sutible for this job

I re-skimed the ceiling as i have fancy original coving that i did not want to ruin

any help would be appreciated

thanks pete

Old 03-05-05, 06:36 AM
-pete-
Visiting Guest
hi

The ceiling is upstairs but has a another floor above i dont think its the joists above as they are about 12"

The house was built in 1859 no cracks in walls or anything.
the lath and plaster ceiling had no movement when i pushed it before i skimmed it the two cracks are very thin but long

i think i need to scrap them out into a v shape maybe and fill with something but not sure what

thanks pete

Old 03-05-05, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would suggest using one of two products for this. First one is what I normally use for plaster repairs, is quick set joint compound. This is setting compound that comes powdered in a bag, EasySand 90 is what I use. You can get this in various formulas ranging from 10 min up to 240 min, most places carry tow or three different kinds, the number relates to how long it takes to set (harden) after being mixed with water.

Other product that I've heard of alot of folks here on the forum using is called Plasterweld, I believe this is also powdered. Good luck

Old 03-05-05, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you tape the cracks or just fill them? The cracks need to be taped. Dig out all loose material. fill with quick set mud. Let dry. Mix up some quick set. bed some mesh tape over the crack in the quick set. This is important because the mud will hold the tape better than the adhesive on the tape. Let dry. finish area until flush with light weight mud.