need major help

Old 03-06-05, 07:16 AM
Gary F450
Visiting Guest
Question need major help

Ok. We are going to repaint our living room. It has only been painted once since we built the house. On all the corners where the builder used "corner bead" on the dry wall, the corner bead is lifting up. How do we fix this?
I am thinking that I use a wide knife and spread a layer of spackling compound along the corners. Is this right?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Corner bead is a metal corner that is nailed onto outside corners . If the corner is cracked about 1" away, and it's just a hairline crack, then yes, a little more drywall mud and sanding is probably all you need. If it's actually lifting up, that sounds bad. You'd need to nail it back so that it does not move in the future, and then cover it with mud. You'll also likely need to use a wider knife than what was originally used- maybe an 8" knife will do.

If you mean that the tape is coming off of an inside corner, then you shouldn't just mud over it. If the paper tape is loose, you need to cut out the portions that are loose and retape, then coat it several times.

Old 03-06-05, 08:21 AM
Gary F450
Visiting Guest
Thanks Xsleeper.
It is just a hair line crack about 1" in from the corners. Not lifting up badly.
Time to get the mud out.

Old 03-06-05, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What I usually do on outside corners like this, is counter sink a couple of drywall screws thru the old plaster, about 3-4" apart, depending on how long the bead has pulled away. Then I replaster and cover the screw heads.
This way there's more support holding the effected area down.
Works all the time.