Cutting Durock

Old 03-08-05, 01:04 PM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Cutting Durock

Hello, what is the best way to cut Durock? Can you use a jig saw? Is it easy to cut?

Thanks,

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 05:15 AM
hi
durock you mean a drywall board?????
if so used a utility knife just slide the knife on it and score it avout 1/8 in and from the back just press where you made the cut it will snap off

check this link
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/literature/diyinstall.pdf

cheers

pg

Old 03-09-05, 05:20 AM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
The durock I am talking about is the gypsum board for around bathtubs, on floors for tiling, etc.

Since I have to cut around a toilet and corners, was just wondering if I would need a special tool. So I score it for the straight cuts, anything special for curved cuts or will that knock right out as well?

Thanks,

Eric

Old 03-09-05, 09:14 AM
They have a carbide scoring tool for it. It is cement not drywall. The round cuts can be made with the scoring tool, but a 4" grinder with a dry cut diamond or the masonry blade thhat would come with the grinder is better but definitely not necessary in your case. Look here.

http://www.usg.com/brands/drck.asp

Old 03-09-05, 10:26 AM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Thanks, appreciate the link. The only out of the ordinary cut will be around the toilet so hopefully the scoring tool will work. maybe that and a big hammer

How important are these seams and taping, etc? I have heard to use screws to tack this stuff down set in some thinset. Any other info?

Thanks,
Eric

Originally Posted by joneq
They have a carbide scoring tool for it. It is cement not drywall. The round cuts can be made with the scoring tool, but a 4" grinder with a dry cut diamond or the masonry blade thhat would come with the grinder is better but definitely not necessary in your case. Look here.

http://www.usg.com/brands/drck.asp

Old 03-09-05, 11:31 AM
use a small hammer and lightly tap it. Durock with bend and crack if it is not supported. Set the tape on the mud and use the special screws for the durock. Pre drill the holes for the screws

Old 03-10-05, 04:10 AM
Looks like they've got you pretty well lined out here, only thing I would add is that you can also use hot-dipped galvanized nails or the special screws to fasten it down. For taping the seams you need to use the mesh tape that is sold along side the durock in the home center and you use thinset for the taping as well. Joints between durock & sheetrock can be taped with either thinset of regular drywall mud. To do holes like for the toliet flange, draw your circle on the board & score it with your utility knife & then tap it with the hammer. You'll still have to use the knife again to finish cutting it out, but that works real well. Good luck, how much tile are you setting? You can also use a masonry blade in your saw, (jigsaw, circlesaw) but be warned, DO NOT CUT CBU WITH A ELEC SAW OF ANY TYPE INDOORS, unless you're really into dust that is.

Old 03-10-05, 06:00 AM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Awesomedell,
Yes, I believe I am pretty well set between this and my posting in the tile discussions. I am tiling a second floor bathroom covering an area of 106 x 61 inches so not terribly much. I am using marble and still have to tear up that linoleum to see how the floor looks beneath. Other than the toilet cut, looks like all other durock cuts are pretty well straight ones.
Appreciate any advice you have. I have successfully removed a loading bearing wall between 2 rooms (making a master bedroom now have a sitting room) as a result of information from here (mainly from IHI) so this site is great. If you are interested at all, the link to those pictures are posted in the discussion listed something like "Removing part of a wall for a walk thru".
Thanks,
Eric

Originally Posted by awesomedell
Looks like they've got you pretty well lined out here, only thing I would add is that you can also use hot-dipped galvanized nails or the special screws to fasten it down. For taping the seams you need to use the mesh tape that is sold along side the durock in the home center and you use thinset for the taping as well. Joints between durock & sheetrock can be taped with either thinset of regular drywall mud. To do holes like for the toliet flange, draw your circle on the board & score it with your utility knife & then tap it with the hammer. You'll still have to use the knife again to finish cutting it out, but that works real well. Good luck, how much tile are you setting? You can also use a masonry blade in your saw, (jigsaw, circlesaw) but be warned, DO NOT CUT CBU WITH A ELEC SAW OF ANY TYPE INDOORS, unless you're really into dust that is.

Old 03-10-05, 10:36 PM
Yeah I remember you now Eric, glad to hear the project is going well. Let us know if we can lend a another word of wisdom or two. Happy Tilin'