Plaster over brick

Old 03-08-05, 02:01 PM
Gene Schwilke
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Plaster over brick

I live in a 1920s row home in Baltimore. I have plaster walls over brick which are covered with old wall paper and paint. If I take down the paper and paint, should I replace it with paper? This might sound like a dumb question, but after all the paint and paper has been stripped off, the plaster looks unfinished, (a lot like concrete), as if the paper was meant to be there for some reason.

Thanks for any help you can give

Gene

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 11:53 PM
What you could do is completely strip off the old paint and wallpaper (beware of old paint, alot of it contains lead) Once you've got the walls cleaned up real good you can use joint compound, I'd use Light Mud, thin it with water down to like a soft ice cream consistency and skim it out with a wide drywall knife. Allow to dry completely, over night will usually do, depends on humidity, temp, etc. Then sand lightly, you may need to reskim if it's real bad. Also before you start, make sure there's no loose material left on the wall and prefill any large voids that may be present. I'd use quick set mud (setting type compound, EasySand is what I'd use) for the prefill. HTH, post back if you're still lost.