removing kitchen soffits

Old 03-10-05, 08:56 AM
removing kitchen soffits

I posted thi sin the kitchen section, but thought it might be more appropriate here...
I would like to remove my kitchen soffits to give a more open, updated look to my kitchen. Before I go banging at it with a hammer, I would like to know what I can expect to run into with this type of project. I know I will have to fix the ceiling (I am taking out that awful popcorn ceiling anyways. I woudl liek to meet whoever invented that and personally "thank" him/her for their contributions to decorating). I am sure I will have to patch the wall behind it, too.
How are the soffits usually attached? There is cracking along the ceiling where they are "settling" and have come loose a bit. Is it really as simple as just breaking it out and patching?
Any info is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 01:48 PM
There is electrical that is run in them that will have to be re routed. There might be some plumbing too. Then patch. Never really know what to expect until you take them down. Also will be some framing to remove. Need a sawzall. good luck.

Old 03-14-05, 09:05 PM
The soffits usually house the duct work for your HVAC and will have to be moved to raise the ceiling. It's a big dirty job with all the insulation and dust falling on your head. Good luck.

Old 03-15-05, 11:01 PM
Like those guys said could be alot of things up there, could even be scrap drywall, I've stashed scrap rips and buts inside interior walls before when the dumspter was 50 yards out thru the mud. Only thing it can possibly do is add sound insulation. Anyway, knock a small hole in the soffit and have a look see with a flashlight, look for wires, pipes, ducts, etc. If you don't see any of that stuff, rip it out, then mist down your popcorn and scrape it all off. Now pick up your tarp and drag all that trash out of there. Oh yeah I forgot to mention to put down the tarp before you start with the ceiling, also either remove appliances or cover with plastic sheeting and tape it down so it does get pulled off and your stovetop ends up full of old popcorn texture. I really hate when I have one of those days. When you get to the point where the soffits are tore out & the popcorn is gone, post back and let us know what you're looking at & we'll go from there.

Old 03-18-05, 09:17 PM
It is really impossible to say how the soffits are constructed or what is run in them. It all depends on if they were on the origional plans for the house or if they were added during a prior kitchen remodel, and even at what stage they were added to the origional plans of the house.

I HIGHLY recommend cutting a hole in one or both ends (try and make a nice hole and keep the piece of material you cut out) then look into the soffit to get an idea of what is there. After that you have a better idea of what you are getting yourself into, and whether you feel capable of taking on the project yourself.

If it is too much for you to handle and it will destroy your budget then just use the pieces you cut out to patch the ends of the soffits and leave them there. It is much easier than tearing a side off of one and having to put new drywall up or taking out a 2nd or 3rd creditcard to pay for someone to do the additional work.

Old 03-22-05, 06:28 AM
BuickGN
Visiting Guest
I removed the soffits in my kitchen when I did a remodel last summer. Maybe you can do what I did to see what you are up against. I went into the attic and when I pulled back the insulation I could see the insides of the soffits. Had some wire in there that had to be relocated but that wasn't a big problem.

I had to patch in drywall where the soffits were and put up new wall sheetrock in the whole kitchen. I ended up going with an Armstrong decorative 12"x12" glue on tile ceiling so I didn't have to worry about matching the existing ceiling texture.

My soffits were made with 2 x12 boards! Sawzall came in real handy.

Old 03-25-05, 06:23 AM
Got it...

I tore out the end of the soffit and peeked in...clear to go! There is even popcorn ceiling and finished drywall behind there, so little repair work after is good! Thanks for all the tips.