more ceiling questions....

Old 03-11-05, 07:53 AM
more ceiling questions....

OK, so I took a peek behind the soffits in my kitchen and thank goodness, nothing but drywall and ceiling.
Might be a dumb question here but I gotta know...
After I take down the soffits I want to take off that awful popcorn ceiling. This will leave a bare ceiling with no paint, etc. (already did it in my bathroom). So, I am assuming that I will need to skim some sort of...well...something...on the ceiling before I can prime and paint it, right?
OK, OK, stop snickering people.... My husband (a Marine...ooh-rah) chose the icon... I'm just a housewife who is trying to keep busy while hubby is deployed.... So yeah, I sound like a chick because I am one
Anyways....on to the question... Is there some sort of website, tutorial, something that can let me know the steps I will need to take to finish off the ceiling?
OK, that wasn't too painful...
PS...expect to hear a LOT from me in the next 14 months.... I need a lot to keep me busy...be gentle!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-05, 08:21 AM
Hello and welcome. Your husband and all of our gallant men & women in uniform are in our prayers, as are their families and friends, your sacrifices are many and we appreciate it.

Ok on to you project at hand. First step I would to suggest is to take a look at the How-To info available here on the site. Here's a link to the menu page for all the articles. http://doityourself.com/sitemap.htm There's alot of good general info there. Looking thru it quickly, I guess we really don't have a real good article on removing popcorn & other textures & redoing them, I've read the Mater of Taste thing, it's good for as far as it goes. I've got to go get some work done myself right now, but I follow up on this post this evening or tomorrow AM & talk you thru the process. Meantime read up & post back with further questions, stay tuned.

Semper fi

Old 03-11-05, 08:32 AM
I just can't wait anymore, I'm going stir-crazy here so I am gonna start with the popcorn ceiling and soffit removal. I can live with the bare ceiling for a few days until I figure out what to do with it...lol.
Thank you for the sentiments... People like you make the sacrafices worth it.

Old 03-11-05, 03:02 PM
Popcorn could have asbestos in it. How old is the house? Get the popcorn off then we can tell you how to fix what needs fixed.
Good luck.

Old 03-11-05, 04:08 PM
House is is 1985.
I already removed the popcorn ceiling from the bathroom and the ceiling looked fine, but bare. Not plaster or anything, just along the joints and over screws, so I am assuming I will need to prep the ceiling with something more than primer before I paint, right?
I don't want any texture, just smoooooooooooth ceiling.

Old 03-11-05, 05:07 PM
House built in 85, asbestos risk is minimum. Scrape it off, vac up with a shop vac if you got one. Said you'd already been thru that part once, so once you tear out the soffits and remove the popcorn, you'll most likely have to do some minor repair work and probably a skim coat in order to get the ceiling looking good with a slick finish. Let us know when you get the demo done.

Old 03-11-05, 11:17 PM
IHI
Of course she picks the hardest texture to achieve....smooooth Any drywaller will attest to that!!

Old 03-13-05, 06:50 AM
OK, so I'll try the smooooooth finish in the bathroom. If it's not gonna happen, I can always adapt. Any websites on ceiling textures? lol

Search this Thread