Help with block walls

Old 03-14-05, 11:45 AM
jgreen
Visiting Guest
Help with block walls

I have a house that was built in 1925 out of ceramic block on all the exterior walls. The walls are stucco on the outside and plaster on the inside. I wanted to replace the plaster with drywall so I took the plaster down, put a vapor barrier in front of the block. Then I framed my new walls, put in insulation and another vapor barrier, then my drywall. After about a week I noticed condensation on the first vapor barrier and the insulation. What did I do wrong to create this problem or is that natural for block wall construction?

Old 03-14-05, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you framed it back up right against the block walls. Generally recommended to leave a gap, like an inch between the framing and the exterior wall. What you're describing sounds like a normal reaction from the cold outside and the warm inside ineracting. I guess you don't have the drywall up yet, since you saw the condenstion on the poly and the insualtion. Also, ceramic block? is this old fired blocks you're talking about?

Old 03-15-05, 03:25 AM
jgreen
Visiting Guest
Yes, they are the old fired blocks. I have seen them but never had any experience working with them. The gap you talked about does make sence and I don't have one now. I should be able to fix that pretty easy. Thank you for your input.

Old 03-15-05, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glad it helped a bit. Post back if you run int oany more snags. Have fun, work safe!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: