Remove load bearing wall - blind beam

Old 03-19-05, 08:50 PM
hobbesy
Visiting Guest
Remove load bearing wall - blind beam

I'm gettting ready to remodel a kitchen in a pretty basic ranch and am in the planning phases. Load bearing wall running down the center of the house supported by 3 2x10 built up beam in basement. There's an existing 60" opening in this wall at the start of the kitchen supported by a blind beam in the attic that's a 70" pair of 2x8's setting on top of and attached to 4 ceiling joists. The beam in the basement is supported by 3 screw type posts on footings approx 90" on center. I'd like to expand this opening by about 60" for a total of 120". Would like to keep it a blind beam and am only expanding in one direction. The side staying the same is approx centered on one of the basement posts. The side expanding at the moment is approx 26" to the left of a basement post which would push the new location 34" to the right of post. Looking like triple 12' 2x12's should be adequate for the new blind beam. The bulk of this beam is going to be supported by 2 posts and at the very least I'm planning on placing a new screw post under the basement beam at the point the new post will be... or should I expect to have to dig a footing under that post as well? Any diagrams or descriptions of the best way to frame a blind beam? Still am thinking about a more decorative 6x6 post and partial beam that would keep the existing blind beam. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by hobbesy; 03-22-05 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-20-05, 06:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your surmise is correct. Prepare a small drawing of the existing and what your proposed intent and solutions is, and take it to an engineer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: