Ceiling probs

Old 01-01-05, 05:16 PM
adamtd13
Visiting Guest
Ceiling probs

I have a 1987 brittany mobile. I have a few repairs needed to be done. I
will be doing them myself with limited help and appreciate all info you can provide.
First, my rear bedroom ceiling is slightly bowed. From the outside it bows down slightly as well. Its been like this for 3 yrs now, and doesnt appear to
be getting any worse, although I would like to stay ahead of the problem and fix it. I have no idea what to expect or where to start. The outer roof
has been sealed with aluminum roll roofing so I will be going in from the inside. Do they sell replacement ceiling somewhere? I am having problems
finding mobile parts.
Next, my bathroom bubble windows wont crank out anymore. Is there a fix
to this without replacing? Mobile now has vinyl siding over old aluminum and I dont wont to chance damage to this by taking them out.
And finally, I've read all the flooring forums before, but here I go. My hallway and bathroom need flooring badly. Although the hall is worse of all.
I may actually be able to just replace part of the bathroom, but will have to replace over a vent. What is the best way to get started? How do I get the two rooms to get to level up to
each other?
Once again, thanks for any help. It is greatly appreciated. I am
struggling.

Old 01-14-05, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
I had a mobile home and it was the same thing.
There so cheapply made that it's a constand maintenance.
If your a senior person, check if there any handyman around to do it.
It's requires lot of work and you have to be in shape.
been there done that. I finally gave it away for $1000. and bought a condo. at least i'm getting some return value on it.

good luck

pgtek

Old 03-27-05, 06:25 AM
Larissa
Visiting Guest
Why would you bother posting to someone seeking help if you have nothing to offer but "it's too hard, don't bother"?

Old 03-27-05, 06:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mobile home parts are much different from traditional homes. When I was in Florida, I found a parts place that dealt with Mobile Home parts only. You may also be able to get parts from a Mobile manufacturer.
The ceiling you spoke of may have gotten wet and thats why it is bowing. The windows could be a problem with the home settling and may require re-leveling. If thats the case, the windows are in a bind and out of square which will not allow them to open. The flooring should be the easiest part as far as obtaining ,material. I retiled my kitchen and hallway. The vent should either pull out or maybe have a couple screws holding it in. God luck with your project.

Old 03-27-05, 09:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If the bath window is the crank out kind the crank mechanism may be wore out but it can be replaced. Although Lowes, Home Depot, etc have mobile home depts there selections are usually quite meager. Your best bet for mobile home parts is a store that specializes in MH parts. Alot ofr towns have them but they always seem to be hid. Look in the yellow pages or internet for the one nearest you. When replacing the floor be sure to use plywood of the same thickness [probably 5/8"] I would prefer then to cover the whole room with a thin plywood to make everything even. The place where you buy the new flooring will have whatever type of moulding is neseccary to make the transision to the next room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: