ceiling insulation and drywall

Old 03-24-05, 09:44 AM
ceiling insulation and drywall

I am closing in my gargage ceiling with insulation and drywall up to the ceiling joists but I want to do this up to the roof rafters on 1/3 of the length of the gargage for a catheral effect. There are 8 cells that will completely be closed in and I was wondering if it will be necessary to ventilate them and/or install a radiant barrier in each one? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-05, 12:41 PM
Definitely need ventilation. Make sure you have soffit vents on the outside. Use those styrofome panels that keep the insulation from the roof and make room for air.

Old 03-24-05, 01:02 PM
Wall And Ceiling Insulation

Is it necessary to have ridge vents or will the soffits be enough?

Old 03-25-05, 06:18 AM
you need an exhaust

Originally Posted by jimmyruss
Is it necessary to have ridge vents or will the soffits be enough?
Soffit vents are intake vents. Now you need an out vent up high for a good airflow. Choices in exhaust ventilation are much wider than intake, ridge vent will work if you have a decent length ridge line.

Old 03-25-05, 07:00 AM
Wink

The books call for 1sqft of vent for 150sq ft of attic. 1/2 in and a 1/2 out. Use button vents up near the ridge. Code here dont want ridge vents any more. Rain water blowes in. Attic ventfan worth it works on a tstat Attic sq ft X 0.7=CFM. Also make sure you have the foam rafter vents so air can get up into the attic from the over hang vents. Over the insulation. You could make a small drop ceiling near the ridge with just some collar beams. this you can vent with gable vents?????

ED