Measuring for Insulation and Drywall

Old 03-24-05, 02:32 PM
Tyggress
Visiting Guest
Measuring for Insulation and Drywall

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are planning to insulate and drywall the garage, to turn it into a gym. It's a large garage, but currently unfinished. We have all the electrical installed and wiring ran, etc. I have two questions before I go buy my materials:

1. Do small projects like this one typically need to be approved by inspectors or the city, etc? I don't think I need permits and such to insulate my own garage (I own the house), but just wondering.

2. Is getting the right amount of material as simple as figuring out the square feet of each wall? For drywall, I could see how that works. For strip insulation to install between 16" studs, I'm not sure if simple L x W would work. It's just a bit confusing to me, since insulation comes in rolls, etc.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Desiree

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-05, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Regarding the permits, it depends on where you're at. In most cities, yes- you need a permit to do anything.

Regarding the drywall, you probably want to get sheets that are as long as possible, so as to avoid a lot of butt joints. For example, if the garage is 24 ft. wide 12' sheets would work well. If it's 20' long, 10' sheets might be better. Hanging drywall shouldn't be like making a patchwork quilt... although some people like to try to use every scrap. (the guy who has to tape it hates that!)

And when you purchase your insulation, you need to look for several things. If the walls are 2x4... then you want R-11 Kraft faced. If the walls are 2x6... then you need R-19 Kraft faced. And insulation comes in either precut lengths (about 92 5/8"- the perfect length for a standard wall height) Or in lineal rolls, which is better when you need to cut a custom length, such as for 9' walls or something. Once you determine whether you need precut batts or lineal rolls, then you are right- it's just a matter of getting the right amount of sq. ft. Each roll will tell you how many sq. ft. are in a roll.

My recommendation is to buy the "pink stuff." And it's easier to hang the drywall if you staple the insulation to the sides of the studs instead of on the face.

Old 03-25-05, 06:16 AM
A couple of things. Most times you don't need a permit or inspection on cosmetic type things. As long as you're not changing the structure you are fine. I would go with at least r13 insulation.

Old 03-29-05, 07:55 AM
Cities are like that with permits. Rochester is the same way. That's why I live out in the country. I just put in R19 upstairs and it's 2x4s. Seems to be fine.

Old 03-29-05, 08:10 AM
jd

by putting r-19 and stuffing it into 2x4 walls you have compromised the r value of the insulation. insulation should not be compressed to take full advantage of the insulating power. r-19 is 5-1/2" thick. a 2X4 is only 3.5" thk. while u may be getting more than say r-13 you are not getting what u paid for

Old 03-29-05, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry tect75. Come to think of it, these had to be 2x6s for supporting the roof. I probably could have went a little higher yet on the R value because there were 1" strips of wood running the length off each individual support beam, meaning 2x7s.

Yeah I agree, squooshing this kind of insulation is not good.

Old 04-07-05, 12:22 PM
Backing up what you said tect, the garage has R19 where the garage meets the breezeway. The previous homeowner put this in. The studs are the typical 2x4s. This insulation has a bulkiness to it, and it just doesn't look right. This will be removed in a few weeks and R13 will be in the walls ... when the weather gets a little warmer.