Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Recessing a cabinet in metal lath wall

Visiting Guest

03-25-05, 01:43 PM   #1  
archie
Recessing a cabinet in metal lath wall

Sorry if this has been covered--did a search and couldn't find any answers.

Am helping friend remodel small bathroom in an older home. We're talking about recessing a small cabinet in the wall between studs. Here's the wrinkle: the walls are plaster over metal lath. I mentioned this to somebody today and they hooted me out of the room, told me not to even try it.

Has anybody done this or have any opinions? We have very few other options since room is so small. If I can attempt, any tips or special tools to use?

Many thanks....

Sponsored Links

CAL

03-25-05, 02:17 PM   #2  
Anything can be done - the question is if it's worth the effort. You would need to cut out the opening using an abrasive blade that can cut both plaster and steel. The cost of the blade is probably going to be about $50 (assuming a dimond grit circular saw blade) and the job will be messy.

Another possibility is to just cut thru the plaster and remove it in the area of the desired hole. Then using a pair of wire cutters you can "nip" each wire mesh piece. This might be a little cleaner but won't be a walk in the park either.

Depending on the amount of remodeling it might just be simpler to take all of the plaster and wire mesh off the wall and start from scratch.

KS

03-25-05, 02:17 PM   #3  
Of course you can do it. It will be a large mess and you will have to do patching after. But if you are up to the challange go for it. You can cut through the wall with a diamond blade in a skill saw or grinder or a sawzall. You will have to provide supports for the cabinet with additional framing. Get started and post back with specific questions.

Visiting Guest

03-25-05, 06:57 PM   #4  
archie
Thanks so much for your replies. You have emboldened me to give it a shot.

I do have one last question. I have only worked with drywall in the past. Are there special techniques/tips to patching plaster?

Thanks again and have a good weekend...

KS

03-26-05, 06:59 AM   #5  
You can patch with drywall materials. You will have to fill in with quick set mud and either get some wide mesh or use a lot of strips.

04-01-05, 06:13 AM   #6  
Those sawzall blades for "nail embedded wood" seem to cut through anything and would probably make quick work of your metal lathe & plaster and still keep a fairly clean edge.

Search this Thread