Cement Stairway Issues

Old 03-26-05, 08:58 PM
Cement Stairway Issues

I am remodeling a room that has concrete stairs leading from below. What I want to do is to build a half wall on the ledge of the concrete of the floor of the room that I am remodeling. How do I construct such a thing? I am familiar with building full-sized walls, but half-walls I need a little advice on. Is there a specific name for a half-wall? It would make it a lot easier to research on. Thanks! Pictures of the exisiting stairs below.

Stairwell Pictures

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-05, 09:08 PM
electric1,

It's a keewall.

Since you know how to build a wall, this is just a shorter wall. Unsure if you have an end wall to anchor to but this can be installed different ways.

The floor is concrete?

Old 03-26-05, 09:12 PM
Yes, there is an end wall to anchor to.

And yes, the floor is concrete.

Also, keewall returned literally no results in google. I'm guessing you meant kneewall?

Old 03-26-05, 09:18 PM
electric1,

You have a couple of options - one is to make a double bottom plate - offset at the open end. Use lag bolts/washer and lead anchors. Drill in concrete and install anchors - this will make for a sturdy wall at the open end.

Other is to use these

https://www.confast.com/products/thunderstud-anchor.asp

Does this help?

Old 03-26-05, 09:22 PM
I think I know what you're saying. But will the wall wiggle at the top corner that is not anchored?

Old 03-26-05, 09:28 PM
electric1,

You may have some minor movement but the next best thing would be dowel screws and use a 4x4 on the very end. Drill a hole in concrete and insert an anchor and then predrill dead center in 4x4 - this will be a long screw. This is similar to custom stair railings. You may want to consider this but you will not get a solid - no wiggle end. It would be very slight.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-26-05, 09:36 PM
Old 03-27-05, 05:12 AM
electric1,

This is the best that I could find to help you. Consider the dowel screws and an inside metal corner bracket. What they show is a shallow bracket but you can get one that would be a 4" x 4" of 6" x 4". Attach this to the 4x4 post I mentioned then lay your plate down, anchoring that to the concrete floor. Build your half wall and drywall. This will be very sturdy.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...ner%20brackets

Hope this helps!

Old 03-27-05, 06:25 AM
Ok, thanks for your help!