Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New paint job...and already peeling. What to do?

Visiting Guest

04-02-05, 11:36 AM   #1  
debbiecarper
New paint job...and already peeling. What to do?

We hired a professional paint job only six months ago. The paint in our bathroom is already peeling off in sheets. I am going to repaint myself.

1. What did the "professional" do wrong? I want to avoid repeating his mistake.
2. How do I smooth out the wall where the peeling has taken place? Will sanding do the trick?

Thank you!

Debbie

PS: I should add....The bathroom did not have an exhaust fan when we first painted the bathroom. We have now added an exhaust fan. Was it the moisture that caused the paint to peel in the first place ? Perhaps we have resolved this problem with the exhaust fan and just need to know how to smooth the wall after the peeling.

Sponsored Links

04-02-05, 12:50 PM   #2  
What was on the wall before he painted.

you may want to look here

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=207791

Visiting Guest

04-02-05, 02:07 PM   #3  
debbiecarper
We painted over old paint. The new paint is peeling up from the old paint. The old paint underneath appears to be fine.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-02-05, 02:47 PM   #4  
From your post I assume the painter [and not all pros are] used latex over a gloss oil base. You need to remove as much as you can, sand, spackle or mud to get the wall looking good then prime with a good primer such as kilz then top coat. Although the lack of exhaust fan may have contributed I don't believe it was the main cause.

Search this Thread