Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How do you smooth a heavily textured wall?

Old 04-12-05, 01:49 PM
kellyh
Visiting Guest

How do you smooth a heavily textured wall? I want to have smooth walls and we have heavy texture that is uneven and looks ugly. How do I fix this? My husband and I are new at any kind of home remodeling. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-05, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Maybe the wall is plaster and the texture is not in the original. If so maybe you can scrape most or some of it off. Maybe all you can do is coat over it. I think something like EasySand by USG is a good thing to use. You buy it in 18# bags, mix it with water but only mix enough to apply in the amount of time until it sets. That is indicated in minutes by the number on the bad EasySand 90 sets in about an hour an a half. Spread it on with a trowel. It will probabaly take multiple coats. You can put on a next coat as soon as the previous coat has set. After it is smooth and even let it dry completely, sand, touch up, prime and paint.
Maybe if you don't have casings and mouldings to contend with you could drywall over it and get a new wall surface.

HTH,

Old 04-13-05, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
If it doesn't sand off, apply a skim coat as tightcoat suggested. You may find joint compound an easier product to apply. It needs to be thinned down a little to make application easier, but unlike durabond it dries slower and you don't have to use all you mix up before it sets up, you can leave the unused portion in the bucket to use later.

Also you may consider wet sanding the skim coat. It does not do as good a job as sandpaper but will drastically cut down on the amount of dust. Wet sanding is basically smoothing it out with a damp sponge. They sell a sponge with a handle just for this and it works well.