Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > Ceiling Tiles - Acceptable hanging methods?

Ceiling Tiles - Acceptable hanging methods?

Old 04-14-05, 09:30 PM
magick
Visiting Guest
Hanging Ceiling Tiles or Sheetrock Probelm - Need Help

Can I hang an acoustic ceiling tiles / planks grid directly from the ceiling joists?

Heres my situation: One story ranch home that was inexpertly "repaired" over the years. The ceilings I want to fix are from the floor up: 1) Old damaged ceiling tiles, 2) furring strips, 3) insulation boards, 4) Sheetrock (in poor condition from old roof leaks). 5) Ceiling joists. Unfinished unused Attic space.

Project: I was thinking i would like to remove ALL this material (which is all in bad shape) right to the joists and attach the grid system directly to the joists and mount the ceiling tiles / planks. (also hoping to gain a little height here since the ceiling is low to start with.

My questions: 1) Is it Ok to hang the ceiling this way with no sheetrock or other board between it and the attic space? 2) If so can i put insulation above the ceiling tiles and what kind/how would i do that? (suspend it above the tiles somehow?

Thanks for any help and ideas on this project!

PS. I have somewhat changed the focus of the project - pls check my last reply in the thread and thanks for any help.

Last edited by magick; 04-27-05 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-05, 11:27 PM
Hello & welcome!

If you're going to remove it all the way to the joists, I'd really thing about just hanging new rock and it should be done that way for fire reasons, fire ever gets past the tiles and it's in the roof immediately, like a big flue on a stove.

Actually I would just remove up to the furring strips if they're in decent condition, and hang new rock from them. Are they on a 12" grid system? If so hang new 1/2" sheetrock up there, if you've got wallpaper or something like that up on the walls, just get the wall edges pretty tight, (not more than 1/8" or so), caulk the gap with some good silicone & then put up some simple corner moulding or crown whichever you want to hide the unfinished corner. Tape the mud the rest.

Little more work, but better to do it right, besides then you can add either blown in or batts in the attic, which I would also highly recommend!

Good luck and post back if you've gor more questions.

Old 04-23-05, 05:04 AM
magick
Visiting Guest
hi,

yes i think i need to remove all the way to the joists since there was so much previous water damage due to leaking roof that the sheetrock is in bad shape.
so in that case it sounds like the proper way to do it is rock direct to the joists and then the ceiling tiles on there?

again my goal is to get rid of as much damaged material as possible, get as much ceiling height as possible. and of course, as inexpensively as possible.

and yes ill be adding the insulation as soon as funds allow above.

thanks!

ps. another thought. is there any reason i cant put the drywall on top on the joists up in the attic? i know this might seem unusual, but im trying to get as much hieght as possible? so if its just needed as a fire safety matter wouldnt this be ok too? thanks again

Last edited by magick; 04-27-05 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 11:41 AM
magick
Visiting Guest
ok just to update my original question. heres the situation:

I have an unused attic space with two sets of beams. Thats because a new roof truss system was built above the joists to raise the roof pitch and repair a badly damaged roof system.

The inside of the ceilings, sheetrock and ceiling tiles, were badly damaged from many leaks over many years and needs to be removed.

Originaly i thought to remove all the materials and just hang ceiling tiles from the lower set of joists. But...

since my ceilings are already low, I thought it might be possible to gain some height and add some fire protection and make insulation easier to install by putting new sheetrock ABOVE the lower set of joists (nailing to the tops of the beams) and leaving the beams themselves exposed. This way my attic space is closed in by sheetrock and i gain the width of the beams in height and get a unique look as well.

I'm not a builder however, just somewhat handy. Is this an acceptable thing to do? I can't see any reason why not, but i also didnt think about the fire hazard of not putting any rock up as pointed out in the first reply.

Thanks for any ideas or insight on this possible project.

Search this Thread