fixing paint spot

Old 04-16-05, 07:58 AM
euphoriant
Visiting Guest
Question fixing paint spot

I recently purchased a new home, so I am guessing as to what this is on my walls.

It looks like they were trying to cover up spots of some sort and when selecting a paint used either a semi-gloss or gloss paint instead of the original flat paint, so now I have shinny spots on my walls.

Is there an easy way to cover up their cover up or do I have to repaint the entire wall?

If I have to repaint the entire wall, do I have to remove the old paint or if I repaint with flat will it cover up the glossy parts?

Thanks,
e

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-05, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
You're probably right about them using semi-gloss instead of flat. My wife just did that- much to my consternation. Touching up spots on walls is next to impossible unless you actually have the same paint can that was originally used. Even if new paint of the same color and type is mixed up, the freshly touched up spots will be fresher than the rest. your best bet is to repaint. And you don't have to worry about the semi-gloss areas. If flat paint is what you want, you should be able to paint right over them and it will cover. But lightly scuffing those spots with some 180 or 220 grit sandpaper, or a fine sponge sander certainly wouldn't hurt anything if it makes you feel better about hiding them.

Old 04-16-05, 11:13 AM
euphoriant
Visiting Guest
Thanks XSleeper!

I guess I have work to do now.....

Old 04-17-05, 09:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Touching up paint often is difficult. If you have the same brand,type and color you may be able to touch up in areas. The more light a wall has or the longer the angle view you can see the harder it is. Often on new work I have rerolled a wall [with out cutting in] when there were multiple spots to be touched up. Wish you luck on your new home.