Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Removing Plastic Wall Anchors? Repair Holes?

Old 04-17-05, 05:16 AM

Am replacing towel bars in the bathroom, and as usual, I've had one helluva time removing the old plastic anchors. Is there a trick to getting them out? Pliers only mangle the head. Trying to drive them into the sheetrock (with hammer and nail head) doesn't always work. And if I get them out cleanly, how do I adequately fill the hole? I tried jamming fiberglass insulation into the hole before joint compounding over, but that's not really adequate depending on the size of the hole.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
If they are just the plain old plastic ones, you should be able to put a screw into the anchor and then pull on the screw with a pliers. To fill the hole, it will require several coats of drywall compound, since each coat will shrink back as it dries, leaving a dimple.

Old 04-17-05, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whenever the anchors don't remove easally I always take a hammer or end of putty knife and knock them in slightly, then apply 1 or 2 coats of spacle or drywall mud.

Old 04-17-05, 05:22 PM
Thanks for your input, folks! I guess anchors just aren't my strong suit, but after pulverizing two yesterday, today's body count was much better. Screw and wiggling seemed to be the ticket for me, and I couldn't be happier, since it's much easier to fill a "clean" hole than a lumpy-bumpy one with an anchor corpse barely beneath the surface!

'Ppreciate the responses...